Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:21 AM

Unhappy What is an INFO file?

I have a folder with all my pictures form my digital camera. But there are certain picture folders that have created a file called "ZbThumbnail.info" I have no idea what it is and I can't find a program that will open it. Also, I can't rename the file or move it anywhere. Please help! I'm so confused!
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:34 AM

Sharon,
If you are talking about a Canon camera, it looks to be added from their software called zoombrowser.

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/lesso...0-2.1/top.html
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:40 AM

Yes, its a Canon camera. And I have that program....

So do you know what the file is or what it does? And why can't I rename or move it?

Sorry I have so many questions!
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:55 AM

No problem !
It's an information file that the system uses to enable the viewing of your pictures in thumbnails.

You won't be able to delete it, but perhaps you can hide it if it bothers you. Right click on it and click properties. At the bottom of that box, look for "attributes". If the "hidden" is not greyed out, put a checkmark in it. Click apply>ok.
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:59 AM

Ok. Any idea why only some of my picture files have it? Are they the only ones I opened in that program, maybe?

There's already a check for "hidden." What does hidden mean?
And while I'm at it, what does "read-only" mean?

When I try moving it to another folder, it says, "Cannot move ZbThumbnail: it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again"

Last edited by Sharon7; November 9th, 2005 at 03:08 AM.
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:10 AM

I really have no idea why only some have it. I don't use that program.

This is a catch22 situation. Your computer is set to show hidden files and IMO it should be that way, because viruses can hide that way. To hide those files, you would have to change that setting.
Open ctrl panel>tools>folder options>view. Put a checkmark in "Do not show hidden files and folders". Click apply>ok.
Read only means that the file cannot be written to...only read.
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:14 AM

Ok, that makes sense...

I don't think I want to hide the file, I want to move it so I don't have a bunch of individual folders with only that one INFO file in it.

I guess I'll leave it all how it is for now and see if my dad can figure out how to help organize my picture files. He couldn't figure it out before, but I'll ask him again this weekend. And I really dont know too much about computers (as you can probably see... lol)

Thanks for your help.