Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Banned

Dual Boot on drive with WinXP

My puter has a IDE Hard Drive with a total of 80 GB. I have two partitions, one in 60 and one in 20 GB, the one with 60 is for the system and main files and functions, plus all installed programs(quite a few). The 20 G Partition is for document, pictures, music, divx and other things. I was thinking Maybe I could delete the things on this partition and use it to perform dual boot with Manrake 9.2 or Red Hat 8.0 , wich I have on CDs, Is that possible, since the partition already was in use by WinXP? And is it hard to do?
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hey there MainFrame!!

I have yet to install Linux alongside WinXP, but I have seen it done and even by some folks here on the forums. You might want to read back through the threads here in the linux forum and you'll see some info on making this work.

One that comes to mind quickly is...
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...ad.php?t=28500

Not that I don't want to help ya, I just haven't done it myself and I believe that there is some good info already here in the forums that you can read through. :-)
Old February 13th, 2004, 12:59 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Dual booting XP and Linux

One can dual boot XP and Nix,matter of fact its done all the time. I don't know why anyone would want to put a beautiful OS such as Linux on the same hard drive with ugly old XP but to each his/her own. With that said I can tell you that XP does NOT like to give up hard drive to other OS's. The hanging point most run into is in the MBR. Microsuck nazi's built XP to cling to it for dear life. With that said here is one example of how you could go about dual booting XP with linux. I'm using Mandrake as my example but any distro should work the same way.....

You will need a blank floopy and a windows 9x Start-up disk.

Install mandrake9.1, use advanced mode.
At summary at end of install. Configure boot loader, Select GRUB, it will already say you have selected the graphic boot loader and this is OK, ignore it. Select boot device as /dev/fd0 (floppy) click on the check box to create a boot disk, then click OK, make the disk and leave it in the drive, at summary page click "Next" and finish the install, it will pop up a screen where you can set your default OS or add or modify your boot list, make sure it points to your windows install as well.
Remove all media and put in the win start-up disk, reboot run "fdisk/mbr" this erases the LILO that you had no option not to install, and restores your windows boot loader. Remove the disk and reboot. windows should start normally.
If it does you did this much right, put in the grub boot disk you created, reboot, when it starts you will have a graphic screen with all your OS's listed, and 10 seconds to make a choice or it will boot your set default.