Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Linux Mint

Over a year ago I had got into using Linux set ups, I had tried Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and PCLinux. Then I got myself a new computer which has Vista on it, I didn't want to add any Linux set up to this computer right away, but am now ready to try using Linux on the computer. From a magazine I purchased there was a DVD with Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" Universal Version, it is a "Live Distro",and after booting my computer into it, I see that it can be "installed", I'm assuming that means that it can be put onto the computer rather than running from the DVD disk. When I tried Mint on the old computer I had, it was a similar situation where I could install onto the computer, I remember back then when installing I was able to partition the computer while doing the install. My question is, if I was to install this Mint version, would I still be able to partition the computer during the install, or would it have to be done another way?

I have (I believe) the latest PCLinux version downloaded ready to burn onto a CD/DVD, I liked that set up before, and would try that one again, but am not comfortable when it comes to trying to partition the computer for it......I don't believe it can be done through the install process, although I've been known to be wrong on things in the past!!

Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I am not very familiar with Mint, but it is based on Ubuntu which provides partitioning tools during the installation. I am not 100% positive, but since Mint is based on Ubuntu it should also provide tools to create, edit, and resize hard drive partitions during the installation.

You could always run the installer and check it out. If it doesn't provide the tools you need, just close it before making any changes. If it does, then you're all set.