Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM

\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded

My operating system has been acting funny for the past week. I decided to reload the operating system, windows xp home edition. Well, I have never done this before but being a computer literate person I figuered, "how hard could it be?" Well, I think I've gotten in way over my head. I created the boot discs and loaded them. Then, when it asked me which partition to use, I deleted the info from my c: drive (big mistake right?). Holding my breath through all the warning screens I deleted the info. Then I tried to load the xp system from the disc and got an error. Like a dummy, I didn't write down the error, instead tried to reload the boot discs again. Now i'm getting the error message below:

File \biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. Error code 4097.

How do I fix this problem and load my operating system back on my computer??? Please help if possible!!!!
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:42 PM

system specs

btw it's a Dell Demension purchased in 2004. It has 80GB harddrive and I think 512MB RAM.
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

First installing XP you do not need boot disks like when you install Windows 98x versions. All you need is the xp disk because it's bootable and formats/partitions drives without the need for the boot disks. Set your computer through BIOS/Setup (press F2 when starting the computer) and change boot order to accept your cdrom drive as first boot device. Have your xp cd in the drive and save and exit Setup.

At the prompt, press any key to boot from the cd, then follow the onscreen prompts. If you get any errors post what they are here in this thread.
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:39 PM

photolady, before I got your reply i tried going through the reboot process again with the 6 floppy discs. my system read the discs and prompted me to the format partition screen. I chose which partition to format and after the formatting was done it gave me this error.

The following value in the .sif file used by setup is corrupted to missing. Value 0 on the line in section [SourceDisksFiles] with key "SP1.cab"

I just tried to reboot from the XP CD like you suggested and it gave me this error.

NTLDR is missing Press Ctr-Alt-Del to restart

Old October 9th, 2007, 11:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi aaathene,

Quote:
The following value in the .sif file used by setup is corrupted to missing. Value 0 on the line in section [SourceDisksFiles] with key "SP1.cab"
Sounds like the setup disks that you're using are for XP Home with SP1, and your install CD is not. If you're going to use the setup disks, ensure that you create a set that coincides with the install CD that you're using. The install CDs could be original XP (no service packs integrated), XP with SP1 or XP with SP2.

Quote:
I just tried to reboot from the XP CD like you suggested and it gave me this error.

NTLDR is missing Press Ctr-Alt-Del to restart
Are you certain that you changed the boot device order in the BIOS so that your system tries to boot first from the CDROM drive? That to me looks like it's trying to boot from the formatted hard drive, or the floppy drive with a non-system floppy disk in it.
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:03 AM

My install cd IS for xp home with sp1 and my BIOS boot sequence IS set to read the CD-drive.
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:05 AM

I don't think my computer boots from the CD drive. That's why I created the 6 floppy discs.
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

You said that your computer is a Dell Dimension from 2004, so I'm thinking that perhaps it's similar to the 8200 series. Here is how to boot from CD, from the DELL site:

Quote:
Booting the Dimension 8200 System from the CD Drive

Insert a bootable CD into your CD drive.

Restart the system.
The Dell logo screen appears.

Press the <F2> key to enter the System Setup.

Press the <Down Arrow> key on your keyboard to highlight Boot Sequence.

Press the <Enter> key to display the available boot devices.

Press the <Up Arrow> key or the <Down Arrow> key to highlight IDE CD-ROM Device.

Press the plus <+> key or the minus <-> key on the keyboard to move IDE CD-ROM Device to the top of the list.

Press the <ESC> key.

Press the <ESC> key to Save and Exit.

Press the <Enter> key to Save changes and exit now.

Your system will now attempt to boot to the CD that is inserted in the CD drive.
Why, if you're using the XP Home with SP1 setup floppy disks in conjunction with an XP Home with SP1 install CD, you're getting the Value 0 on the line in section [SourceDisksFiles] with key "SP1.cab" error message I do not know....unless the CD is scratched or dirty or the CDROM's lens needs cleaning.
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:52 PM

GretaP, I've tried altering the boot sequence to boot from the CD but my computer WILL NOT boot from the CD. I don't know what's wrong with it. Maybe the best think is just scrap this one and get a new one?
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Maybe the best think is just scrap this one and get a new one?
Referring to the entire computer or just the CD or the CD drive?
Have you tried cleaning the CD and/or cleaning the CD drive's lens? If you have easy access to another CD drive, you could try hooking it up in place of the current drive and see if that solves the problem.