Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:02 AM

Drivers, protection, and updates.

Hello I recently had a huge failure in my computer. So I had to convert from Windows XP Pro to Windows 2000 Pro. Some guy decided to send me a virus personally in just pure anger and he somehow corrupted my NTLDR file. So now im back on Windows 2000 Pro until christmas when I get a whole new computer with a whole new monitor and stuff. But anyways

I noticed I had gotten one pop up so far and on my old windows I wouldnt get any at all no matter what, and I also noticed it said my proccesor was a intel pentnium 3 but its actually a intel celeron. Also my graphics were like really bad coloring and just ugly looking but I corrected that with downloading the drivers for my video card. So I just need to know what to download for drivers, protection software (and not like a billion diffrent programs, maybe one for viruses and one for spyware cleaner).

Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:13 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
As for the protection, I would say to make sure you have Adaware and for viruses I use AVG......I also use AVG anti-spyware (formerly Ewido) and spybot

For the drivers, it depends on your system......chipset, audio, LAN, video should be updated to most recent versions most of the time.......some people say you shouldn't update your drivers unless your having problems though as updating drivers can sometimes cause problems

Everest is a good program to find out what your make/model is for your components
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:31 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
hey Roberts91,
do include a decent firewall, one that controls inbound & outbound traffic.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:02 PM

Wow! Thank you both for all that information but I have a question for worknstiff. I play World of Warcraft the game revolves around opening ports to allow updates, and sometimes depending on the firewall it will not even let you get on the server. Is my built-in-firewall on my router good enough? Or is there a good type of firewall out there where I can tell it to open certain ports to allow trusted sites, games, and stuff like that. Thanks!
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
anytime you leave ports open you can have problems. If you want to see exactly how safe you are, check out this test.