Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:15 AM

File \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded error code is 7

Hi,
I keep getting this error when trying to use the win 2k pro boot disk and this comes up on the first disk. How can I get around this? The cd is not bootable. I checked with another disk for xp and it booted from the cd but the 2k cd is not booting. I have tried different cd roms, hard drives, and made new boot disk. With no luck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
From another 2k machine, put on a floppy (to boot with)

C:\ntdetect.com
C:\ntldr
C:\boot.ini

Those files are hidden files so to see them you'll have to enable Show Hidden Program or System Files

If you can see the files back them up.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM

Hi Spider,
Thanks for responding. Okay, I located the three files you mentioned. Bear with me I am very new to all of this please be patient with me. When you say "put on a floppy (to boot with)" do you mean such as a windows 98se bootdisk or the first disk of the four start up disk for win2k? I want to understand whats going on here. I checked on the number 1 disk of the four and it had a copy of ntdetect.com showing size of 33.6 KB just for comparison I checked the ntdetect.com I got off another pc with 2k on it from the c: drive and it shows a size of 33.9 KB does this even make a difference? So in spite of all my rambling and mumbling are you saying copy these three files to the 1st disk of the four and reboot and see what happens next or copy to 98se boot disk then after booting insert 1st disk of the 4 from win2k and see what happens next??

Thanks again and really do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Cozar
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozar
When you say "put on a floppy (to boot with)" do you mean such as a windows 98se bootdisk
You just put those 3 files on one floppy all by themselves. Set the BIOS settings
(usually "Del" key during boot up) to boot from Floppy (or A: first).

You won't need any of the Windows 2000 boot floppies at all. The boot up looks to the floppy for basic
start up info and then the boot.ini file tells it to start reading the hard drive where Windows actually is
and the boot up continues from there.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:59 PM

Hello again Spider, I apologize if I left something out in an earlier post. I am trying to load win2k from scratch on this hard drive. Windows is not on the hard drive at all.

Bear with me again, now if I boot with the floppy with the 2k cd in the cdrom drive would boot.ini look there after not finding windows on the hard drive?

Thanks
Cozar
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:36 AM

Hi Cozar !
Here's what MS has to say about that problem.....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318729/EN-US/

I would first try setting your bios to defaults. You will have to enter your bios setup and find that area. You usually have to press a key at bootup .....something like del, F1, F2..etc. If you don't know, let us know your computer specs and we'll try to find the right key for you.

Next would be bad memory. If you have two sticks of memory installed, take one out and see if it changes anything. Switch to the other if no luck. You can also use memtest. It's a bootable floppy program and you can get it here.....
http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

Another cause can be a bad floppy boot disk. Make sure they are working properly or try another set of disks. Perhaps a bad download too. You can get the 2K bootdisks from here.....
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

After you have loaded the last one, it will tell you to insert your 2K CD for the install.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozar
trying to load win2k from scratch
Ok I get it now.

As mtbird already mentioned the Windows 2000 back up disk you have may not have been
made properly [if it's not an original copy].

Under Boot Options or Boot Order (or something to that effect)
if your BIOS settings are set to use the CD-ROM as the first boot device
then a proper disk should show on the screen
Press any key to boot.....