Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old December 9th, 2004, 12:59 AM

Difficulty installing programs

Hello, I have just reformatted my PC because of virus-related problems, & I've successfully reinstalled Win2k with all my drivers before). But now it seems i cannot put in other software without the PC hanging and the blue screen appearing, mentioning something about "beginning physical dump in memory." Upon restarting, I find out that only one of my two CD-ROM drives is recognized, and the PC searches for a boot disk. I turn off the PC, switch on again after a while and things start normally. Still could not install other programs which i have on backup disks because in the midst of installing (even when i'm installing from the Windows update site), the blue screen appears again. Guide me please, I'm so insane right now. 8P
Old December 9th, 2004, 07:42 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hello:
Oh the blue screen of death that's called. Sometimes it's a sign of impending hard drive failure. When you reinstalled Win2k did you reformat or simply reload it saving all your original files?
Old December 11th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Hello, Melodi. I installed win2k after reformatting, so i totally started from scratch, i think. Btw, format revealed that there were bad sectors in my hard drive, about 1.5 Mb. COuld that be the source of the problem? And yet, scandisk reports no errors in drive C, prior to installing windows. I am so confused. The blue screen thing is still happening, but it's more unpredictable now.
Old December 12th, 2004, 02:28 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hard drives are cheap now. There are a lot of different causes for your symptoms. Not recognizing one of your Cd drives could be a driver issue, not being able to install the drivers or software without the blue screen of death is a sign of hd failure. Not to make it sound bleak sorry. I have an old compaq here that I keep getting the BSOD on, I just keep reformatting it(twice a month), reloading the drivers and keep acting like nothing is wrong. My advice: a new hard drive. Someone else might have another suggestion?
Tell us more about your system.
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Hi, again. Well, the blue screen problem really got much, much worse since the other day. So i resorted to reformatting everything again and then installed Win98 instead of 2k. It's what i'm using now and i have no problems so far, even with installing drivers and other software. I figured the problem might have something to do with the ntfs partitioning (oh, but i'm not an expert - i only thought that it's the correlated factor) when setting up with Win2k. To ease my paranoia, i bought and installed a new McAffee viruscan, and of course, put in all the updates i did not have before. BTW, my PC uses AMD duron processor 850mhz with 128 Mb RAM. Am still worried that the hard drive (with 20G capacity) will die on me so i have to plan on adding a new one sooner than later. (sigh)
Old December 14th, 2004, 03:07 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
When you did the install of 2k did you uninstall 98 clean then install 2k on a clean NTFS partition? Not doing so can cause errors of all sorts really. Also just as a side note 128mb's ram is a bit small, Windows2k or anything more would run much more stable on at least 256mb's. Windows being the OS that is is however will always work best with as much RAM as you can throw at it. Just a few things to think about hope it helps
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:31 AM

It helps. Thanks. Actually, i'm so retarded that i cannot do a clean install of Win2k (i've tried but i always mess up -- long story), so i always have to upgrade from a prior install of win98. I'm not even sure if my CD-ROM is bootable. INcidentally, I just bought Windows XP which i plan to use once i get a new hard drive. ANy other specs i should know?
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Well if you plan to use XP on a new hard drive then all should be well. XP sits on a little lager footprint then 2k. That is to say it will take up a bit more room on the hard drive than 2k does but this won't matter much really. The chip you have will run XP fine but it will not be the fastest install of XP this also may not matter to you. As long as you are happy with what it will do then thats all that matters. XP is a mem hog so I would advise to pack as much RAM into that box as it will hold. 512 would be ok anything more would be better. So good luck with install and if you need any help we are here
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Okay, you guys. Thanks for the support.