Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old October 5th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Cannot access Windows Update site

Hello all,
I would just like to say thank you to anyone and everyone who has helped me in the past. Everyone has been great. Here I am though with yet another problem. I am having problems accessing some sites and cannot even get through to the Windows Update site. The error I get is "Windows has encountered an error and cannot display the page requested" My operating system is Windows ME. I've defaulted the browser settings to no avail. Any site that requires a secure login, such as my bank website, I get the "Cannot find server error" after entering my user name and password. Any suggestions anyone? Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by skeptikyl; October 5th, 2004 at 03:44 AM. Reason: editing the error message
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:09 AM

Hello Skeptikyl,

There are three main reasons that cause IE to not open secure sites:

1) IE security settings are to high. Set the zones to default.

2) Date and/or time on your computer are incorrect. Check your time zone as well.

3) Internet filtering program such as a popup stopper or antivirus/firewall.

One of the above will solve the problem 90% of the time. If not, try:

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the reply Seth. I gave all that a shot but still no change. At this point I got to thinking that maybe the answer lay in the registry. I downloaded a registry cleaner and it found well over 200 errors in the registry. (The computer was given to me so I have no idea what the thing has been through.) At this point, I just decided to use the ME reinstallation disk and sure enough, that took care of the problem. Anyways, thanks for the help. At least it gave me a place to start.

Last edited by skeptikyl; October 7th, 2004 at 08:06 PM. Reason: info