Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:07 PM

Windows 98 Reinstallation

I want to reinstall Windows 98 on my desktop so I can start with a clean machine and reinstall all my software. I've prepared a startup disk and run this "with CDROM support" as Windows 98 is on a CD. The disk seems to work ok going through all the backup files etc till it gets to the A prompt. At that stage when I type in q (the letter of my DVD/CDROM drive)to check that I will be able to use a CD I get the message "not ready reading drive E - abort, retry, fail?). I have a second CDRW drive - "D" and I've tried typing in e for this (on the basis that the startup disk moves the letter up one) but get the same message. I've also downloaded a bootdisk from the net and used this with the same result. I know that sometimes you have to use the actual drivers for the CD drives on your machine as those on the startup disk don't always work but I don't think this is the problem as no drivers have been loaded for either of my CD drives - both run with the drivers which came with Windows. Any ideas welcome - its driving me crazy!
Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:06 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Bootdisks assign a drive letter while booting. It will not be the same as it is now in windows, watch the screen it will tell you what drive letter it assigns.

Are you having errors? or just want to start over. The proper way to start all over, is formatting the hard drive then reinstall windows. Formatting the drive wipes all data from it YOU LOSE ALL DATA, if you have backups of your email, favorites and all the programs you use then this is a good way to go.

You can also install windows over the top of itself, without formatting, within windows, if this is a "Full Version" of Windows.

If you know you want to format the drive, then I have a HELP page. But remember FORMAT means wiping the hard drive clean and you lose all data.
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:22 PM

I've reformatted & I'm up & running again. Thanks for help.