Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 26th, 2014, 10:59 PM

my laptop screen gets all white/doesnt turn on when i turn on my laptop

when i turn on my laptop,sometimes my screen gets all white but i can still hear that my windows has loaded.alternatively it sometimes doesnt even get on ,its just black. but this happens 4/10 times
rest times its all normal
what could be the solution?
thanks
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
what could be the solution?
Many things - depending on what the problem is.

I would first connect an external monitor (or TV - most now support computer input), then use the applicable Fn + F-key combo for your notebook (see your manual) to switch the graphics output to the external monitor and see if the problem happens there too.

If the external monitor displays properly, then you know the problem is with the notebook's monitor. If the external monitor shows the problem too, then that points to the notebook's graphics solution, and that generally means the motherboard is failing.
Old October 27th, 2014, 08:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
is the laptop beeping when you first turn on the computer? In addition to the other possibilities, if the ram is going bad or bad, you will not get a screen on either the laptop or external monitor, but it will usually beep at startup. If this is the case, you can try pulling the ram and reinserting making sure it is securely seated.
Old October 31st, 2014, 02:46 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
The problem described would suggest a bad connection between the mainboard and the screen. The screen will show white if the backlights are powered and there is zero connection of the signalling and data wires, the screen will be black if there is a partial connection (or the backlights have become disconnected ) and OK if full connection. Since you experience all 3 states, the possible cause is movement of the connection cable, at the hinge, as you open and close the laptop causing either damaged wires to make or break connection or a loose connector block in the mainboard socket to move.