Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Loud noise from fan??

My desktop is suddenly making a loud whirring/drilling type of noise! It dies down occasionally but then starts up again. Its a Tiny brand which Ive had for 4.5 years. Is it at deaths door? The noise seems to eminate from the fan area. What needs to be done to fix it, can it be fixed? Any help appreciated.
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM

sounds like a hard drive to me, but you can try dusting your fan and see if that helps
Take some can air and clean the fan blades, that should quiet it down some
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:29 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
You will have to take the side panel off and get in close to determine where it is coming from, could me the PSU fans, CPU fan or like JD said it might be your hard drive. If it is the fans it might be the bearings in them are wearing so you get loud noises from them sometimes, CPU fans are replaceable by buying a new one of course. If it's the PSU fan then there is 3 options, 1. Deal with the noise, 2. Replace the PSU or 3. If your good with electronics and PC's you have to find another fan that matches and will have to cut the faulty fans wire off and splice the new fan into the wiring to replace it. Now if it is your hard drive then quickly back up your hard drive or at least save the important stuff to some CD's because your hard drive is failing and could shut down completely at any time.

But like I said you will have to get in there and pin point the noise before you can actually know.
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
yep, open the case and pinpoint where the sound is coming from. if fan, make sure its dust free because sometimes dust will cause an inbalance which will cause noise. If anything else, just make sure everything is securely installed.
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Well the noise is coming from the main fan at the top back. When I press the grid it changes sound & if I pat it with my hand with a little force it stops making the noise - but soon starts again! Ive opened the side but the fan is enclosed in metal box. I have no clue how to get to it(well, screws are a clue but Im not sure what they open up...) or what to do when I do get to it.

So I wouldnt know how to change it anyways. How much do these things cost roughly & are they specific models or are all desktop fans the same fit?
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
I had the same problem.My Dell sounded like a 747 preparing for take off! It'll be 4 years old this coming Feb.I took the side panel off.There was so much dust inside,some of the parts were COMPLETELY covered. I used toothpicks/q-tips to clean it.Wasn't too comfortable with compressed air.Afraid of running the risk of jarring something loose,or even worse breaking something!Put it back together,an it sounds perfect now!....It was loud enough to be overheard with my pedestal fan running on high prior to cleaning it out.
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Sounds like it's your power supply exhaust fan, first try blowing it out with some compressed air if you got it, get it in there and really blow the dust out of there and see if it helps. If it doesn't work then it's likely the bearings are wearing out and causes the fan to get noisy, you can replace the fan but I wouldn't recommend you do it unless you know what your doing, it involves removing the fan in the PSU and wiring the new fan into the old fans wire. Your best bet is probably to just replace the PSU if it really bothers you, cost depends on how good the PSU is and how much power you need from it to supply your computer.

Try to find out what PSU you have now and the specs of it then you can start to look for a replacement based on that information. Newegg.com has some really good prices on Power Supply Units among other computer parts, it's worth taking a look at.
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:51 AM

I keep hearing about these compressed air cans but Ive never ever seen them! Where do u buy them from? Are they like disposable aerosol spray cans with just air in? how weird that u pay for a can of air! Are they specifically for electronics or are they sold as a general DIY product?
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8dook View Post
I took the side panel off.There was so much dust inside,some of the parts were COMPLETELY covered. I used toothpicks/q-tips to clean it.
When u did this did u have to unscrew any of the metal boxes/enclosures within the main tower? Was it your main power fan? The fan I want to get at is in a metal box which I think also contains the power supply(the 3pin power socket is right next to the fan). Do I need to get inside it to clean it or did u just poke through the grid? The grids on the back were certainly caked in wooly dust which Ive cleaned but Ive not cleaned inside the grids.
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJOR3058 View Post
I keep hearing about these compressed air cans but Ive never ever seen them! Where do u buy them from? Are they like disposable aerosol spray cans with just air in? how weird that u pay for a can of air! Are they specifically for electronics or are they sold as a general DIY product?
You can usually get them at a hardware or computer store pretty easily. Yes they look like a regular can of aerosol or spray paint except with a trigger top and it comes with a long narrow tube to get into nook's and crannies, ask someone who works at the store you go to where they keep their compress air cans.. they will show you where they are if you can't find them.

Your problem is in the power supply so attach the narrow tube onto the can and stick the tube through the fan holes at the back of the PC and spray around, make sure not to tilt the can much or at all because when it's not upright it can shoot out a foamy liquid and you know how good liquid and electronics do . If your power supply (the metal box inside) has a bottom fan or another fan somewhere else get in that fan hole and spray around to.. make sure to get as much dust as you can out of there.
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:57 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Fortunately I DIDN'T have any screws.It was only a plastic enclosure that housed my fan.I definitely got inside to clean it out,along with the outside grill cover.It was a tedious process,but it was obviously needed.The amount of dust/crud inside looked like barnacles on a 100 yr. old sunken ship!I believe the "can air" is bought at any office supply store.I would think its the same product used to remove debris from your keyboard.I would definitely take the time to open it up and get inside.Even if you use the above mentioned advice,you run the risk of "WETTING" something inside,and only just blow the dust elsewhere inside your machine.

Last edited by H8dook; December 29th, 2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Absolutely! It's the dust! I had the exact same horrible noise that made me want to buy a new computer!
I dusted it and now my PC is silent like it was when I bought it.
Cheapie tip: No need to spend $$$ on compressed air cans (I saw a video where the man uses a ten-pack for his tower). On a windy day, I placed my desktop with top removed near a window with a curtain drawn in my back to prevent the dust blowing back in, and with a soft bristled wide brush I dislodged whatever the wind didn't carry away.