Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:23 AM

windows reinstallation

hey all im new hear and i have but one question, i recently had a thunderstorm in my area which knocked the power out, and when i tried to turn my computer on when the power came back, i was faced with a screen that tells you that you can start windows in safe mode, start it from the last known working configuration, or start windows normally. I've tried all those options and but they only get to the screen where its a black screen with the windows logo, and that blue progress bar, and goes no further. Anyways i've looked it up on microsoft and it appears to me that a reinstallation of windows is neccessary. I plan to follow the guide i found here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/ under method 2: Repair Install Of Windows XP by Starting your Computer From The Windows XP CD.

but my question is, well first of all is that quide what i'm looking for, and secondly will that process wipe out all my installed programs on my computer? because i really dont want to have to reinstall all those programs again, as i just did not long ago when i built it lol. Thank you very much in advance.
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:50 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Repair option will leave your programs, and data in tact.
Just make sure, you don't make very common mistake, by avoiding this:
To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R.
It'll wipe out your data.

Better guide: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:13 AM

crap, i think i pressed that in an attempt to repair windows...whatif you pressed it and so on, and it think i tried a fixboot command in it am i screwed?
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM

You tried JUST fixboot, nothing else?
If so, you should be fine.
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:12 AM

phew yes thats all i tried. So i tried a repair install of windows according to the guide i posted in the original post, but still nothing. so i did a bit more research and i have a SATA hard drive in my computer and i read, that its neccessary to press F6 in a situation like this, so i tried this and i'm faced with a screen now, which says

"-To specify additional SCSI adapters, CD_Rom. ors special disc controllers, for use with windows, including those for which you have a device support disc for a mas storage device manufacturer, Press S

- If you do not have any device support discs from a mass storage device manufacturer, or do not want to specify additional mass storage devices for use with windows, Press ENTER"

for me i bought my hard drive as a OEM so i got no discs/manuals with it, just strickly the hard drive. so do i press ENTER since i have no "support discs"? or is this process even neccessary. I'm assuming it is as i had no success with trying a normal repair install of windows.
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:19 AM

Yes, you press Enter.
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:05 PM

lol god this is getting annoying, so i've run into yet another problem, i get to where windows starts installing devices. it then tells me it cannot locate file
P17.sys on creative installer CD-ROM so i assume thats my sound card because its a creative sound blaster sound card, but when i put the CD that came with the sound card it still won't find it, ive tried putting the windows disc in, my motherboard disc in, and my video card disc in, i dont think i have anymore discs to try. i have no clue what to do, or where to find this file anyone know what to do?
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:51 AM

ok, well i fixed my last problem i posted about. but now i've run into a new problem where, i've completed the reinstall process, but it gets to the blue Welcome screen but then it hangs up and won't go any further. should i try another reinstall or do i just have to bite the bullet and just try and do a fresh install of windows? i really hoping to try and keep all my programs on my computer, so if there is a way to fix with first i would like to try that first, but i guess if theres no other way...your help is much appreciated.
Old July 29th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Try repair one more time.