Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:44 PM

HP System Recovery Results in Windows Not Completing Install

Right now I'm laughing at HP since this is really pissing me off.

Here's the scenario: My notebook had some partition issues and I received a package with two HP Restore DVD's which had Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.
Last night I began the restore process by popping in the DVD and allowing HP to work its magic in restarting many times to restore the hard disk image onto the computer.
However, something must have happened and when all of that magic finished, I started up Windows and I got a cute little error message after passing
Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.
Hitting OK on that box makes the computer restart and just let the message be there over and over again.

BUT I can control + alt + delete to open up Windows Explorer and do anything else I need to on the computer when I'm at that dialog box.

Another thing I realized when my computer finished restoring was that the hard disk was only 32.1GB when I have a 111GB disk. The rest of the space was unallocated and no 'recovery partition' was ever made for me to be able to restore the computer after this.

HP first told me to run Windows and HP update. It didn't work.
Next, they told me to check with Safe Mode. It shows up there as well, and then they tell me to hit the option "Repair your computer" on the startup menu. That doesn't exist!
Another rep told me to use the F11 method (the recovery partition) but it wasn't until I realized that no recovery partition was ever made.
Right now, I'm talking to another representative and I'm beginning to wonder if he knows what he's talking about.
Quote:
Rider: Okay.
Rider: Just run live virus and spyware scan.
Rider: Then, Tap Window key and R key at once. Type CMD and hit enter. Now type SFC /SCANOW and hit enter.
Be aware that the entire disk has been wiped. Really, what are the chances of getting spyware/viruses on a fresh computer that was restored less than 24 hours ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Agent referring to Live OneCare
Rider: You need to perform the scan after you download it.
Rider: After the viruses are cleaned, you can work with the notebook.
Rider: If the issue persists, you need to reinstall Vista using recovery dvd's. [***]
Rider: Am I clear to you, Eric?
Rider: You could get back to us if the issue persists even after doing these steps.
Please, anyone, any real ideas?

Last edited by EricLX; June 12th, 2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLX View Post
Be aware that the centire disk has been wiped. Really, what are the chances of getting spyware/viruses on a fresh computer that was restored less than 24 hours ago?
Howdy:

I have seen clean systems infected within minutes of the install if they didn't have an av program installed before they allowed a net connection.

BTW, the sfc / scanow is wrong.. it should be scf /scannow (note the TWO n's)

Murray
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray S. View Post
Howdy:

I have seen clean systems infected within minutes of the install if they didn't have an av program installed before they allowed a net connection.

BTW, the sfc / scanow is wrong.. it should be scf /scannow (note the TWO n's)

Murray
I get what you mean.. but it's kind of stupid though since HP sticks in antivirus protection with every single notebook and even on its recovery disks. It's just a bit frustrating that this one guy didn't even get the problem, and my head just went kaboom (thankfully not on the guy).
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:24 AM

A bump - it's still happening. The only way I can get past the screen is by killing the audit.exe process. Any way to permanently getting rid of the message?
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Hey

I'm just wondering. Is it the HP System Recovery DVD or the Application and Driver Recovery CD where the virus is lurking ? Since I've not connected my pc to any network at this point and it's still happening. I can get Vista to work with out inserting the Application and Driver Recovery CD during installation but that doesn't serve my purpose.

EricLX did you ever figure out a fix for this ?