Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:26 AM

Computer will not turn on after I...

Hello, a couple of years ago I put together a computer and it has been working fine up until yesterday. I was vaccuming and decided to take the hose part and suck up some dust behind my PC. When I finished I thought I heard a wierd noise and thats when I noticed my PC was no longer powered up, so I immediately unplugged the system. I thought I smelled something like burning plastic, but it could have been my imagination. When I tried to turn the computer on again I heard this wierd high pitched noise the power supply was making. I came to the conclusion that I may have blown dust around and it acted as a conductor inside the power supply. I already took the power supply apart, because I figured it was broken and I like to see how things work. Today I went out and purchased a new power supply as a replacement. This one is universal so there is no voltage setting. I hooked it all up and made sure everything was connected properly to the motherboard including the power switch on the case. The only thing that happened was the motherboards green light turned on. The computer case also came with these stupid lights on the front with their own seperate button and wires, but those also would not turn on. I'm not really sure if the green light on the MOBO means it is in working condition. If I fried this thing what is salvagable ? I was hoping the hard drives and most of all the graphics card would still be good.

Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
CTH Subscriber

That's the hazards of vacuuming around or in computers. You might have sucked up some jumpers while vacuuming in there as well. You could have shorted the motherboard also, from static electricity build up from the vacuuming. And no, the light on the motherboard doesn't mean it's working or good, it only means it's getting some power from the power suppy. What power supply did you buy?
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM

ok

I bought an antec 500 watt power supply from office max it was on sale for 40 dollars. So what should I do just replace the mobo and processor?
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

That depends on what cpu you have. If older then a new motherboard and processor, but if it's newer, perhaps just a motherboard. Processors/cpus are hard to kill.
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:52 PM

mobo

Can anyone reccomend a decent and affordable mobo plz? Preferably for pentium processors
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

Depends on that motherboard model, so we can match it to your processor.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:06 AM

mobo

I'm gonna get a new mobo and processor, but I am not sure about the new procerrors that have come out. I had an ASUS p4800sx mobo with an p4 3.0 800fsb I would prefer something a little more powerful, but I don't know anything about these new core 2 duos and pentium Ds.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM
CTH Subscriber

Probably best way anyway, your P4800SX is a socket 478 board and they are rare now days.

As for which ones to buy. That's the easy part.

Give us a budget on how much you can spend and we'll take it from there.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:33 AM

mobo

If I could get something for around 200 that would be nice. I haven't been following any prices in the past year, so I'm not sure where things are at. I use to use my PC for alot of gaming, but not as much anymore.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:51 AM
CTH Subscriber

That's a bit too low. Processors and motherboard would eat that up right now. Then you have to buy a different graphics/video card, and different memory/RAM. And probably a different power supply because of the different connectors on those new boards, and power of older psu's wouldn't be enough to power a new system.
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:49 AM

mobo

How much would I need for the new mobo and processor.

Here is what I have and were in my old mobo.

Geforce 7800 512 g card
antec 500 watt power supply
2 1 gigabyte ram sticks pci slot not sure on other specs
160 gig hard drive with OS
cd/dvd rom
monitor, keyboard, ect...
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:53 AM

mobo

Should I just buy the same mobo and processor?
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

Well, there is this motherboard on newegg. You don't say if you're in the USA or where, but newegg is the best online computer parts store in the USA.

BIOSTAR P4M80-M4 478 VIA P4M800
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the help
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

You're welcome.