Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 12th, 2003, 07:54 PM

Locked out of XP

Hi ALL. the wretched son of a firend has set an administrator password (the only account set up) and has managed to lock out the computer (XP pro SP1). I've tested a couple of utilities to recover passwords on my own computer and nearly succeeeded in screwing it up. Does anyone know a reliable way to reset the admin password ?
Thanks in advance
Old April 12th, 2003, 09:34 PM

Just wondering -

Do you know for sure somebody set/changed the password. The reason I ask is because there have been some issues with a similar problem after the installing of a recent Windows .net frameWork update.
Old April 12th, 2003, 10:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Howerski - CTH is unable to help with issues that involve bypassing or breaching computer security. While your issue may be perfectly genuine, we have no way of knowing this and we will not be party to any sensitive information falling into the wrong hands.

Who's computer is this? If it belongs to your friend, why does your friend just not ask his/her son for the password?
Old April 13th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Hi
In reply to both posts. I nkow that a password was put in because the son told told my friend that it was "monkey" - she tried different capslock combinations as I suggested, but no luck. I can only assume that he mistyped it in some way.
As to your point, moderator SIR - I appreciate your concern re security issues. However, having searched the net on this, I have found numerous forums in which this subject has arisen quite genuinely under a variety of circumstances. The fact is, if a hacker wanted to access a computer by bypassing the login, there are plenty of utilities out there. I downloaded 2 last night, one of which has actually worked on my computer - so I will try it later on my firends.
I think that the real issue is that Microsoft tries to talk the tightrope between home and business use - but when something goes wrong - you hear a lot of screams out there.
So - should this forum not have this discussion - or not seek a solution ?
Old April 13th, 2003, 02:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
The answer to your question can be used by even the most Novice user to hack into someone's PC. Thats why we can't give you the information you seek in open forums. CTH is listed at Microsoft as a Windows Tech help site and they do keep an eye on the sites they list. So we do abide by the Rules so that CTH does not have to worry about being Shutdown and the Admin/Owner of CTH will not have to pay fines. There are always legal issues involved. Some sites dont care if someone hacks into your PC, so they help people do it. We dont condone Hacking here, so we can't take a chance on helping someone be able to.

Hope you understand.
Old April 13th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Yes I do understand the issues involved. I have now solved the problem using one of the "forbidden" utilities. So problem solved. However, I think the discussion is worth pursuing and I hope that Microsoft is listening.
I have built and serviced many machines over the years, and a scenario that is becoming increasingly familiar to me is the "family" setup - one or more machines in the home - often networked up to broadband. The teenage (or younger) children spending hours tucked away in their bedrooms accumulating knowledge for themselves and swapping tips with their peers; the adults, often getting to grips with new technologies for the first time. In this scenario, there are 1001 mistakes and disasters just waiting to happen.
I appreciate the need for constraints upon people who might be inclined to hack into a PC at work where there are potentially all sorts of sensitive and import data floating about. Howver in the home, I would suggest that its external security that is more important (i.e. protection from internet based hackers). I think that a lot of grief would be avoided if MS took this into account and madeit easier for home users to recover from potentail disasters like the one that sparked off this discussion.
I'd be interested to hear other peoples' views.
Old April 28th, 2003, 03:41 PM

I dont think you will get mutch of a discusson on this site you are makeing valid points that most of us in the field have known since the very begining of xp and the word hacker always comes up when i dont believe most really know what a hacker is,so that always dampens the discussion and rest asured you are preaching to the quire with most of us and i dont see microsoft doeing anything to help
>cody
Old April 28th, 2003, 05:10 PM

Yes I suppose you're right Cody. Funny though - I was sure that Microsoft would email me and ask me (and some other users) for our input into the future design process !