Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Windows XP Reinstallation Problem

Before starting, I'd like to clarify that I am using a computer not related to the current issues I am having.

The computer that I am having issues has been through several successful reinstalls and reformats before this incident.

Series of Events:
It started yesterday. The computer was slow and ads were popping up everywhere so I assumed that spyware had gotten in. I had not recently installed or downloaded anything. I ran Adaware which has always worked in the past. I came back to my computer a couple hours later and it was totally inoperable. Adaware had left the screen and the hourglass cursor replaced the original cursor.

Foolishly, I did not restart the computer in safe mode and run Adaware from there. Instead, I booted from Dell Reinstallation Disc and ran a Windows Repair without backing up any of my files. Everything ran smoothly as usual, until the 25 minute remaining mark. It didn't exactly freeze, it just stopped. It stayed at 25 minutes remaining for several hours and I was left with no choice but to restart by flipping the switch in the back of the computer.

Then, I did several things to no avail. I ran recovery console and typed in a few commands (chkdsk) that I had read online might help. I tried to run in safe mode. When I ran with networking, Windows told me I couldn't. I ran with command prompt and it just stayed with that safe mode screen without the explorer bar or desktop loaded. I tried fixing the boot sector but I was denied access by the recovery console to copy the files. I've tried re repairing, because I recently found out about a task manager within the repair. After copying the files (in the beginning of the repair) it reboots as usual, but the blue screen telling us how amazing Windows is does not appear. Instead, a black screen with just the mouse (sometimes functioning, sometimes not) appears.

The recovery console's set command is disabled, and I don't have access to copying files. Is there any way around this?

I have searched far and wide for answers to my problems so far in vain. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks