Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:24 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
VERY annoying popup, please help!: Moved from XP by Murray

Ok so i just formatted and havnt downlaoded anyhting that seams suspicios... but i keep gettin this annoying popup and cant paly any games becuase of it...

it comes up in differnt formts but all telling me to get whatever this is... lol... please help
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:45 AM

anyone?
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi overkill, that message is generated by Windows Messenging Service. You obviously havent installed Service Pack 2 yet. It's turned off by default after installing SP2.

There are a number of fixes and security updates included in Service Pack 2 and until you do install it, your PC is wide open to all sorts of threats. You need to prepare your computer before installing it however. See here for information from some manufacturers regarding SP2 and here for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Support Center.
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Hi overkill, that message is generated by Windows Messenging Service. You obviously havent installed Service Pack 2 yet. It's turned off by default after installing SP2.

There are a number of fixes and security updates included in Service Pack 2 and until you do install it, your PC is wide open to all sorts of threats. You need to prepare your computer before installing it however. See here for information from some manufacturers regarding SP2 and here for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Support Center.

thanks... I wanted to be sure it was a legit popup befor i downloaded anything, spyware looks so real nowadays you never know if its legit or not
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
You are welcome overkill.