Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old August 17th, 2023, 06:34 PM

FireFox and Google Woes

When I click on Firefox "Open Application Menu" it is neither alphabetical nor intuitive. How can I modify this?

I have AdBlock Plus installed, but it is not working. Almost every day I come across a site that says "we see you're using an adblocker".

Sites such as Xhamster now have video that runs for ten seconds before the selected clip will play. You have to wait and then press a "Skip Ad" button. How can I prevent this garbage?

Sites such as YouTube are now infested with "content providers" who put up clickbait topics. In the middle of their narrative they suddenly launch into a sales pitch for something crummy like BetterHelp or SquareSpace. Is there a FireFox plug in that will auto edit this portion of those videos out?

I primarily use Google. I know that the top few results are paid advertising and I scroll past those.

How can I set it up to filter results better?

For example, when I search for technical help, about 80% of the time the results are:

1. Not really a guide to resolve the problem, but a stealth ad to sell you software to fix the problem you are researching;

2. Directions or videos that refer to things that do not exist on my computer. They name locations and pathways and items that do not exist as they describe them;

I know that I can set google to filter according to chronological date, but that's a pain. If tech advice is out of date, I don't want it in the search results.

I also want to filter out any Google search results that include sites that say "we see you are using an adblocker" or "subscribe to read".

Is there a firefox plug in that will reveal when an internet item was posted? Increasingly, journalists and others do not put a posting date on the article.
Old August 19th, 2023, 12:56 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
try a different adblock extension. I moved away from adblock plus when they started allowing some unwanted content. I would suggest giving ublock orgins a try and see if it works better.
Old August 20th, 2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
try a different adblock extension. I moved away from adblock plus when they started allowing some unwanted content. I would suggest giving ublock orgins a try and see if it works better.
Thank you. What is an adblock extention?

I tried a few before settling on Adblockplus a long time ago. I remember Ublock being useless, weak. I will however, try it out.
Old August 21st, 2023, 12:13 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
there are two ublocks. Make sure it is the ublock orgin by Raymond Hill

extension is just another name for add-on.
Old August 25th, 2023, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
there are two ublocks. Make sure it is the ublock orgin by Raymond Hill

extension is just another name for add-on.
Link?
Old September 1st, 2023, 12:24 AM

Here it is buddy

www.ublockorigin.com

Thank you for coming ashore on CTH!!