Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:45 PM

Help with laptop/networking

I want to transfer some files from my desktop with Windows 98 to my laptop with Windows XP. I connected them with a crossover cable and went to the laptop's "file and settings transfer wizard". It told me I needed a wizard disc for the other computer. I can't create one because the laptop doesn't have a floppy disc drive. I don't have the Windows XP CD either.
I called Geek Squad and they told me I needed to network my computers and they would charge me $169 to do it. So I was attempting to do it myself but I came across the same problem with the network setup wizard. My options are to create a network setup disc (when I try to do this it just tells me I have no floppy disc drives), use the network setup disc I already have (I don't have one), use my Windows XP CD (don't have it) or just finish the wizard (which won't work).
I don't really want a network anyways, I just want to transfer some files. I'm not good with this stuff, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by kerem; May 15th, 2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:09 AM

You can do it unsing UNC names. Do you know how to share foldres? You'll need the name of the folders, and the name of your computer. clikc start, run, and enter //computername/sharename

for exapmle if your computer's name is joescomputer and the folder you have shared is sharedstuff you would enter:

//joescomputer/sharedstuff in the run box.

Its not a very detailed explination but if your computer literate you will understand, if not I am sure the nice people here can reiterate it a bit more.

good luck.

J
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:19 AM

that helps, but don't i need to get my computers to acknowledge each other somehow first? because so far i haven't been able to. will i be able to do the UNC thing just by connecting them with a crossover cable?
thanks
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:29 AM

No, you dont need to get the computers to recognize each other first. I believe that you can use the UNC method via crossover though I have never tried it. I dont see why you couldnt.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:21 AM

I am trying to do the same thing. So what exactly is a crossover cable? thanks
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
First, WVUNavyflut04 there are 2 'types' of ethernet cables. patch cable used to connect a computer to a router/switch/... and a crossover cable which is used to create a direct computer to computer ethernet connection. (See this post http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...ad.php?t=59269) If you have any more questions please start your own thread (thanx )

doomsday, if you don't really want to create a network, but just want to move files from one PC to another, have you thought about a USB memory FOB. Something like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820237701) is less than $20 shipped.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1p
First, WVUNavyflut04 there are 2 'types' of ethernet cables. patch cable used to connect a computer to a router/switch/... and a crossover cable which is used to create a direct computer to computer ethernet connection. (See this post http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...ad.php?t=59269) If you have any more questions please start your own thread (thanx )

doomsday, if you don't really want to create a network, but just want to move files from one PC to another, have you thought about a USB memory FOB. Something like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820237701) is less than $20 shipped.
Yep, I Have a flash drive. I like the network though.
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:51 AM

i sorted it all out, thanks