Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I Need A Networking Expert

This issue has defied everyone that I've talked to about it, in fact, I posted this question here a few months back, but didn't get anything, so I'm trying here again as a last ditch effort.

The Network Setup: Alright... first off, there is this computer that is the main computer in the network. The modem is hooked up to this one, as well as a wireless G router.

Two computers connect to the router wirelessly. One of the desktops that connects wirelessly is the one that is causing the problem... we'll call that computer "thomas".

The Problem: I have an Xbox360 wired to the router, that runs fine with a full connection and everything... that is, until someone starts downloading something on thomas, which causes the connection the Xbox receives to sloooow down significantly.

The Xbox is the only thing that experiences this problem. This computer, and the other laptop that connects wirelessly do not experience any problems what so ever.

The Question: What on earth could be causing this, and is there anything I can possibly do to fix it? I realize I could simply tell my friend to "stop downloading", but thats like telling a child not to "push the button", as soon as I leave the room, he starts again five minutes later.

Any ideas?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Does your router have any settings for QOS? If so you might be able to allocate more bandwidth for the XBOX and less for his computer. You might also restrict access to P2P ports during certain times of day or night so that you are both not using up heaps of bandwidth at the same time. Also what speed connection are we talking about here it may just be time to pony up for a faster connection.
Old October 4th, 2007, 03:28 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
The connection speed is 100Mbps.

I'll have to check into the QOS settings... I also came to the conclusion that it might just be the adapter he uses to wirelessly connect (linksys USB), because this all started on an older computer he had, and it still persists with this new one... so I'm thinking trying out different adapters may help as well.