Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Please Help Me!

My wireless router seems to not want to be "wireless" anymore. I have been using this router for about 5 months with no problem but all of a sudden now it cant give me wireless internet, the only way i can get internet is from connecting a cable to it. This is a bit ridiculous considering that i can just plug a a cable to my modem and get connection that way so why would i buy a wireless router just to do the same thing? I had restarted my computer twice already thinking something would change but it hadnt. I uninstalled the router program from my computer then re-installed it but nothing changed. What should i do?
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Hello Dezlo, Some things that may help you get an answer faster are:

1.What brand and modle number router do you have?

2.How does the computer connect wirelessly to the router "Is there a built in wi-fi adapter or and add in after market wi-fi adapter?

3. The computer that won't connect is it a laptop or desktop and what OS "Windows or any other"?

Knowing some of that may help get an answer faster. There are many reasons this may be going on but you could narrow it down by looking at the easy things first. Check the router make sure there is no button on the router that can turn the wireless broadcast off it may have been pressed by accident. On the computer check for the same thing. Most newer laptops have a key or a switch that wil turn the wi-fi adapter on and off. You may also have to work with some of the wireless settings in the router if it has been factory reset. The bottom line is the issue is either going to be with the router or the wireless adapter on the computer.
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:55 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I fixed the problem without actually knowing what the problem was. I restored my laptop to a previous date and everything turned out fine. i guess the problem was my laptop and not my wireless router.
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Glad to hear you got the issue fixed. It does indeed sound like a the issue was with the wi-fi adapter or settings on the laptop. Thanks for posting an update and feel free to post any more questions you might have.