Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Unhappy TCP/IP Gaming

Hey everyone,

I have recently installed a broadband system at my house. The ISP have provided me with a modem so I have connected the modem to a hub, along with two other computers. This way I am able to access internet from both computers and share files between them. No problems there.

However I encounter problems when trying to host a TCP/IP game. Whenever I host, my freinds are unable to see me. However, I am able to connect to them. I have tried turning all my firewall systems, however the problem is still there. I have tried giving my freinds both my WAN IP and the static IP given to me by the ISP, however in both cases I was not visible to my freinds and they were not able to connect to me.

Does anyone know a possible solution to this problem? Or a way to find where the problems lies?

Thank you very much in advance.
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

What type of hub? It is a hub or router?

If you now have an internal network with an internal ip such as 192.168.1.100 then your friends will not beable to see your PC.

You would have to forward the port that the game uses to your PC.
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:15 PM

It is an "EtherFast 10/100Mbps Switch".

And my internal ip is indeed of a format 192.168.xxx.xxx

So how exactly do I "forward the port that game uses to my PC" ? How do I find out which port the game uses and how do I "forward" it? As far as I know you can only "forward" ports with a router?
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:37 PM

I believe you will have to purchase a Router with NAT facilities.

Maybe the Network Mods have more info.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:39 AM

There are no other possible solutions? Hardware routers are too expensive for me and I will be changing my computer system completely very soon, I just want to be able to host games for my freinds this summer...
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:52 PM

I don't know of another solution.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:17 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
If your IP addresses are 192.168.x.x, then you are using something that is more than a switch and it is doing NAT, otherwise you wouldn't be able to access the internet. What is the exact model that you are using? A good resource for configuring port forwarding is http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm.
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:15 AM

I am using "Micronet SP605K EtherFast 10/100Mbps Switch" and "Harbour Networks HA1000 ADSL Modem".
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Reading back over this thread he says he has a network setup like so: internet->adsl modem->switch->computers. He also says the ISP gave him a static ip address. Now if you only have one address then one of those computers wouldn't be on the internet due to the fact it doesn't have its own ip. So the use of a router or ICS would be needed in order to give both computers thier own internal private ip address. Now if you have setup ICS and gave each computer an address for example 192.168.1.1 then the other computer 192.168.1.2 this makes sense. If you haven't setup ICS and get an ip like that and you don't have a router then how did that internal ip get to be in that format?