Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old October 31st, 2004, 03:07 PM

WinXP Bridge Problems

Ok; I'm a little new to networking so go easy on me...

I have two PC's and a laptop running WinXP Home... I have a cable modem connection which runs ethernet cable into a Linksys router... The router then connects to my 2 PC's allowing them to share the Net connection.

One of my PC's has a 'g' series network card and so does my laptop... The other PC; simply has a standard ethernet adapter... Now the PC without the wireless card can access the Net fine; but I was attempting to setup ICS on the second PC (With the wireless card) so that my laptop could share the connection without needing to be plugged into the router.

So here is the problem; everything was working fine; until I rebooted the machine last night; as I rebooted the non-wireless machine was working fine and still is; however I have lost my internet access on the other machines... I've followed my steps to re-install the network and get it up and running again; but I've hit a snag...

In network connections; it shows that there are no active "Bridges" and none of my connections are "Bridged"... However; if I try to bridge a connection to get my wireless card to re-interact with my ethernet card; I simply get a Windows error:

"An unexpected error occurred while configuring the Network Bridge."

Now I've tried absolutely everything I can think of to reset my network connections; uninstalled and reinstalled absolutely everything (Except the entire OS) and cannot get anything to work; I have no "Restore Point" to roll-back to and just cannot find a way to reset this error...

Has anyone had any experience from this? Is there a way to restore the Network connection setup and bridging status within WinXP - I cannot find nothing relating to this topic in the MS KB; so I'm hoping someone can give me a clue.

Your thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dan Mitchell
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:11 PM

I'm a little old at networking ... so I cannot fot the life of me figure out what use Network bridge might be. It has screwed me up numerous times.

http://www.cmu.edu/computing/docume...g/bridging.html

Oh. I implemented by disabling Network Bridge. I think it was a right click menu item on the network bridge icon.

Now I gotta figure out one more thing. I'll post it on another thread so as to not clutter yours up anymore than necessary.

Last edited by rburtnick; July 7th, 2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Hi Dan, Are you trying to configure a network bridge or to use ICS? Both can be used to share an internet connection and can be troublesome.

-z1p