Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:45 PM

Need a little floppy disk info please

When you work on computer and save work to a floppy disk, does that info also stay on computer? I do a lot of genealogy and want to save what I have done to floppy disk. But doing this also take up all the space in hard drive too? I can see backing up etc, but if working with computer word processor and then putting on floppy doesnt make sense if it is still taking up a lot of space on computer. I know the purpose is to have it for emergency should computer go kaput. I hope I make sense here. I just wanted to save space on computer and not eat up a lot of memory. Any whaere on here or net I can read up on this? Thanks everyone.
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:50 PM

Unless your hdd is extremely small ex. 500mb. and you are writing rediculously long thesis papers then space for word documents on a hard drive are not going to be a problem. They are very small. You can still save to floppy if you like the more important files to be safe if you like. The only reason why a file you saved to floppy would be on the computer still is if you saved to the computer before and at the end saved to the floppy. Otherwise the file is only on the floppy.
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:59 PM

Need a little floppy disk info please

Thank you so very much. This is exactly what I was trying to get into my head. LOL......I want to do on computer but dont want to hog up space. Now I know not to make a mistake and save to computer first. Thanks so very much. I couldnt understand that if it was saving to computer also and the floppy was just a back up of work. Have a good one.
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hi,

I would not recommend relying on Floppy Disks to archive your data.

Your data is much safer on your HDD.
If not then look into getting a different backup device such as a USB Key/Pen Drive, a ZIP Drive or a CD-Writer.