Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 4th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Hard Drive is getting sick.....

Hello and Happy Fourth to everyone. I run Win 98SE on a Compaq computer. The last day or so my computer will make a weird clicking noise and then want to restart itself. When it does, a message on a black screen comes up and says cannot read harddrive. So I restart computer manually, go through scan disk and all is okay. It just does this all of a sudden. Has happened twice so far. Am afraid hard drive is going. My main concern is that should it go, I want to back up what I have on computer. Being a relative newbie, I am not sure how to do this. I have plenty of floppy discs but not sure how to go about this. AND...should it come down to getting a new hard drive or computer, how do I put all this back into computer. Is there a website I can read up on or can anyone give me suggestions on what to do. I really dont want to lose all info I have on here. Thanks everyone. Have a great day and a safe one.
Old July 4th, 2004, 10:04 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
It will be better to go ahead and get a new drive, then move the files from the old over. Instructions will come with the drive. Just copy the data files you cannot afford to lose to floppy. If the drive is on its last leg, backing the whole drive to floppies could cause a total failure before it is finished.
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:33 AM

Thanks for input renegade. Am going to back up what I need. Went a whole day with no problem. It just acts up when it wants to. Screen goes black and message reads cannot read hard drive. If I reboot all is okay. Makes a clanking sound when it is going to do it tho. Have a great day and thank you.
Old July 7th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Hi. Thanks for input. Am going to try and backup what I can. The computer is still acting up. I hear that clicking sound and get one of two screens; Pops up to blank screen and says: 1. Operating system not found on any devices. Press any key to try again OR 2. Unable to access hard drive. Then I have to reboot. Sometimes when I reboot, it will work fine for hours. Then all of a sudden does this. I have run tests I could think of like scan disk, defrag, diagnostics but all come up normal.
Now I want to back up whats necessary. Went to do backup and it came up with 16,000 some files on drive C and D. WOWO......that would take a heck of a lot of floppy disks. Can you help me decide which I need to back up??????I would like to do whole thing, but like you said, may do it in for good. I have no Win98SE CD with complete info. Only a quick restore disk that came with computer. And also, another question, if I back up, how do you back up things you have saved in your email in Outlook Express. Thanks so much everyone.
Old July 7th, 2004, 04:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
in order to install the factory image to a new hard drve u will need the complete cd set from compaq

if u buy a new drive, they often come with software to copy your entire old data to the new drive
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:05 PM

HI. Am finally back up and running. In re to my problem of hardrive. It was the armature inside hardrive that was the problem. Which in turn caused problems with memory for some reasons. New hard drive was put in with new memory board. Was able to back up some files when "old Betsy" would let me. Starting from scratch but puter is healthier. LOL......Just wanted to let you know. Those "all of a sudden" clanking sounds is hard drive. Thanks for the input everyone. You are all great here.