Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old October 23rd, 2012, 03:28 PM

Hitting 'Back' should be instant!

I'm wondering if there's an extension/add-on/etc. that caches everything on a page so that, when a user clicks the 'Back' button on their browser, it loads the page instantly.

It seems to me that this would be standard on all browsers, but I realize that most browsers only cache specific things like images. Is there something I can get that caches EVERYTHING so that, upon hitting back, I see the exact same page that I was looking at previously?

Thanks for any and all help!
Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Seems to me the simplest solution would be to enable tabbed browsing and click on all links using the scroll wheel (which will click like a mouse button). Or, if you don't have a wheel mouse, enable the "Open all links in new tab" or use the right click/"Open in new tab" option.

Then every link will just open in a new tab, leaving the original page still open on its own tab; no need to click the back button at all, just close the tab you're on.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM

Thanks for your reply, Miz.

What I'm looking for is something that allows the following scenario:

1) User visits www.site.com/gardening.html
2) User clicks a link on the Gardening page which brings him to www.site.com/about.html
3) User clicks the browser's 'Back' button and, instantly, the Gardening page is shown

This shouldn't be a tall order since everything on the Gardening page was already loaded in Step 1. Clicking 'Back' should just re-load everything from the local harddrive. However, I believe most browsers only cache things like images as opposed to caching EVERYTHING on a page. Is there a way to cache EVERYTHING on a page so that, when the browser gets asked to reload that page, it loads from the local harddrive?

Thank you.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:03 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Tabbed browsing does allow the scenario you want:

1) User visits www.site.com/gardening.html
2) User clicks a link on the Gardening page which opens www.site.com/about.html in a new tab
3) User closes the www.site.com/about.html tab and, instantly, the Gardening page is shown, still completely loaded on its own tab

I don't know of any software that will force a browser to cache an entire page and load it from the cache as you want.

Perhaps someone else will be of more help.
Old October 25th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Thank you, Miz. You are correct with this approach, but, I'm looking for something that allows this functionality to occur in one tab.
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM

What you mention in your OP is the default browser action. The page will be cached.

There are reasons why it wouldn't be.
The site is using dynamic contect and it pulling it all from the database again or that they have put no-cache measures in place - plus the site may have a bad connection.
Your browser is set to a zero cache limit.