Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM

Are there any Cat Whisperers?

I discovered Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel in 2007.

However, my Mom is dealing with a Cat, how the heck do you train a cat. All that I know is that the methods are almost similar to dogs.

As a matter of fact are there any Cat Whisperer's in Province Of Manitoba, Canada?

I don't know if other people did this, but I compiled a list of things that the Dog Whisperer said was very important to understand about Dogs.

The Cat (a she), is climbing on counters and tables, plus I just need various training on how to get her to become a follower instead of her thinking shes the leader.

Last edited by DJoe; February 3rd, 2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Rampant Rabbit

You can't train cats. Cats are independent. You can however shoot them, or run them over, which is great sport. Don't ever let one into the house, they will fill it with fleas, demand food, and attempt to trip you up on the stairs.

Last edited by dammit; February 3rd, 2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
The Cat (a she), is climbing on counters and tables,
Keep a water pistol handy and give her a burst each time she jumps up on the table. It will not harm her and works wonders.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:35 PM

dammit: Even worser, Hair, Hair everywhere. "shoot them, or run them over", I know how you feel, LOL.

I perfered Moms last pet, a short haired wiener dog.

He just needed training, he had to be put down in Dec. 05., cause the surgery was t00 expensive and NO guarantee that he was going to heal properly. Also most of the pet surgery's are apparently done in Saskatchewan.

Last edited by DJoe; February 3rd, 2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Dogs are social animals. Left to their own devices, they will live in packs and the pack always has a leader.

Cats, on the other hand, are not social animals. In the wild, they claim a territory and live alone 99% of the time. That means getting a cat to think like a follower isn't easy. It's much easier to get them to think in terms of territory...which is theirs and which belongs to the human.

They can be trained but it takes patience and repetition. Like AnnMarie suggested, use a spray bottle fille with water. Use one that sprays, not one that squirts in a stream. It doesn't take much water to discourage most cats...and it's much easier to hit the target with a spray instead of a stream.

Like training dogs (or horses or, for that matter, humans), consistency is crucial. Correcting unacceptable behavior part of the time and ignoring it other times will never get the point across.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM

Alot more work training humans, because their so, smart, well most of them anyway. Their independent and/or anti-social.

That Mexican dude on the Dog Whisperer, has said that a few times, repetition, repetition, repetition. Hmm, I should add that to my notes.

I was thinking, she doesn't want to go outside during winter, and we have a treadmill, I'm thinking good luck if I can pull that off.

Last edited by DJoe; February 3rd, 2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM

If people are interested, heres my Dog Whisperer notes, some of the info maybe incorrect, but, check it out:

LIST UPDATED FEB 3 08 - 2 PAGES LONG ON NOTE-PAD!

You may perfer having a professional work on certain dog behaviors.

Humans can live in the Past, Future, or Present. Dogs only live in the Present.

When you train a dog, make sure you repeatedly use techniques until the
dog understands.

Must be in calm, assertive state as a human being.

AssertiveSounds: are "shhh, snap of of fingers, perhaps eye contact as well.
Use leech, mussel or other humane tool, if necessary.

AssertiveWays: to train a dog are to slightly choke their leech or use your fingers as teeth towards the dogs chest.

With a dog or cat you can use something to help these pets associate whats bad and good.

Dogs understand sounds, better than names or words.

Human behavior or thoughts can affect dog behavior.

Calm down dog before doing something like, if the dog starts barking when a motor cycle is turned on.

Remember your incharge of your children, tell the dog that its NOT his responsibily, hense use the dog techniques on the dog.

Create space boundary if your dog or dogs attack anything. This includes answering the door.

Don't let dogs on your furniture, and putting their head up, this could be a case of trying to dominant towards the human.

Do not nurchur issues, example being, a dog smashing threw a window and feeling sorry for him/her, because dogs take advantage of weakness.

Dogs don't read your mind, however they read your energy, good or bad.

Don't give affection to a new dog for 2 weeks, they need to understand the new environment and more less the rules.

A dog that is anti-social, may need a 2nd dog to become social.

When walking a dog, don't let him/her sniff the ground.

Dog should always be, behind you, when walking a dog, you are the calm assertive pack leader.

Dogs get introduced to energy, not talk.

If a dog attacks you, block him with a tennis racket and shake a jar of rocks and ultimately back him/her into a corner.

If a small dog bites at your friend or family, that 2nd person should slightly hold him/her down and block access to you.

When picking out a dog, watch how the dog's behavior, calm dogs are usually the best choice although, lots of dogs that are caged up are anti-social.

Dog's Tailup/Headup, owner should take action, as shown above.

A dog thats put into a kennel should be trained to stay without closing the cage, use the training methods shown above for this.

Dogs listen better, with daily exersise.

Last edited by DJoe; February 3rd, 2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
My advice is to watch the Dog Whisperer a lot more, DJoe. You've got some of his stuff all wrong.

For example, if you allow your dogs on the furniture (as I do), then by all means, allow them. Just don't allow it sometimes and not others. Consistency is the key.

When walking a dog, it's not that you never let them sniff around, you let them sniff around on your terms, not the dog's.

When a small dog...or any dog...attacks, it's the owner's responsibility to discipline, not the attackee. You cannot expect your dog's victim to discipline your dog. It will also be the owner's responsibility to show up in court and pay the judgement against him.

A dog's head and tail up is not always a sign of impending unacceptable behavior.

What Cesar Milan is trying to teach is how to read the dog's body language so the correction is appropriate and perfectly timed. It can takes a long time to learn all three.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
The difference between cats and dogs - expirements by Pavlov, explained by Eddie Izzard (one swear word). Place paw here

As Miz points out - consistency is the absolute key. Control your behaviour way before attempting to control that of the animal. Use modulated tones wherever possible.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:27 AM

Kind of figured, there might be mis-communication, or in-corrections in the notes. Oh well I try to understand.

Those RED-ZONE, cases, look freaky.

Last edited by DJoe; February 4th, 2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:42 AM

LOL, looks like a man dressed as a lady.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:46 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
No mate, all the girls in Wales are a bit like that.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:53 AM

Hmm.. Dog Whisperer Canadian Edition.
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:39 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJoe View Post
AssertiveSounds: are "shhh, snap of of fingers, perhaps eye contact as well.
Use leech, mussel or other humane tool, if necessary.
Leeches? Mussels? Are you training a dog or a fish?

Cats are way better than dogs. If you put them in a box and fill it with poison gas, they will survive! As long as you don't open the box.

Last edited by oracle128; February 4th, 2008 at 03:44 AM.
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:14 AM

LOLz, yeah I'm also training a fish named waltor... kidding!!

To be honest, I hate Cats.