Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Need help with CD burner installation please

Hi everyone. I run Windows 98SE. A friend gave me Nero express External CD burner. I have disc, install it. shows it installed but when I try to burn it says burning done successfully BUT puter is not recognizing driver. It says no driver installed. When I go into device manager it is listed under unknown device with a yellow question mark. Try to click reinstall driver but says device not found. I have uninstalled it several times but cant get driver installed from CD I was given. I understood that CD would have had driver on it. Any suggestions? I hope I explained it clear enough. Thanks.

PS...I thought maybe problem was using USB hub I put on so plugged right into puter but still no luck.
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:24 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Go to the NERO website and see if they have a driver for 98SE.
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

I think you're confused, first Nero is a software, Nero Express is their basic burning software they supply usually with internal and external burners made by someone other company. Nero has no drivers. What is the brand name on the external burner. Also should take note, some Nero Express software only works with the burner it came with. If this is the case that your friend supplied the software, it might be the software will not work with your external burner.
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:08 PM

Thank you for reply. Burner has TDK on it. This CD installer came with burner from what I know. Friend whom gave it me used it on her computer. All she had was burner and Nero Express CD to install it. Nothing else. She installed it on Windows ME. Thanks. It shows it installed with desktop icons and all but puter doesnt recognize drive. It gives it drive F on my puter. My CD rom drive on puter is E. Thanks.
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

What do you mean it doesn't recognize it, but it gives the drive letter F? If it's not recognizing it, it would not assign a letter.

If this drive has been used a lot, you might want to clean it with a cd/dvd lens cleaner. You can buy them any place they sell music cds, most computer hardware stores and some chain stores, such as Walmart and Kmart.
Try that first, then if it still doesn't work, it could be needing a firmware update or it's a bad drive.
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM

Thank you for your reply. I hope you can be a little patient with me. I am basically a newbie and have never installed one before. The burner is TDK brand and CD for Nero Express is a TDK CD. They belong together. It shows a drive F for it. I have all icons etc and folders. When I right click on my computer and bring up properties then devices. It shows the CD burner under CD rom drives. Under unknown devices it shows Mass Storage device with yellow question mark. When I bring up properties on this it says no driver is installed. I used CD rom cleaner on my reg CD rom drive on computer. Everything is working fine. Everything is there but wont recognize that drive for some reson. If I put a blank CD in burner, run a data burn, it says it burned successfully. THEN when I put into regular CD rom drive, it is blank meaning nothing actually burned. OR may I ask, if I burn a CD do I also play it in the same drive? Meaning F drive. Im sorry for being a real dumba....
I do thank you for your time. I do appreciate it.
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

When burning make sure Nero sees your drive in the list where you chose what type of cd you're burning. Then add files, or try different cd brands too. Burners, no matter what kind, windows supplies the drivers and are not needed from anywhere else, usually. As for why Device Manager is showing an unknown Mass Storage Device, I've actually never seen that, unless this burner has a RAM drive also.
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:09 AM

Thank you photolady. I have installed and uninstalled this thing so many times. With no luck. If I cannont get it this time, I will uninstall and return to owner. Easier than aggravating myself. And they will also get new blank CD's to boot. LOL...Thank you again
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

I'd keep the blank cds and buy an internal cdrw or better still a dvdrw, both are pretty cheap now days. The cdrw internal probably would cost about $30 if that much, and DVDrw's are about $35 now.
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:52 AM
CTH Subscriber

Couple of burners to look at: Both LG because they are the best right now:

DVDRW:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136119

And I was wrong about the prices on CDRW's they even less than $30. Like the one below is only $18 plus shipping of course, still makes it less than $30.

LG CDRW:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136058