Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 5th, 2006, 06:09 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobel60
OK,let's try one more bright idea. Is there anywhere on my comp - a hiden file or sub folder - that will have my original disc registration in it?
The house has now been demolished looking for that disk
You can find ur computer registration No. in control panel/system don't know if that is also the disc registration
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssi2001
You can find ur computer registration No. in control panel/system don't know if that is also the disc registration
No that's not the Product Key
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:52 PM

Ok, where I am now. My comp wouldn't get to installing settings. It just asked for the disc or for me to get in touch with MS.
I searched more. Banged my head against the wall a few times.
Rang the bloke who sold me the comp; he was on holiday until next week.
Rang another bloke who normally helps me out in these situations; he told me to ring MS and plead insanity.
Rang for a beer.
Finally I made up my mind that I would have to pay the £92.00 that MS wanted for sending me a new reg.key.
Rang MS. I got an Indian or Pakistani lady with a quiet voice on a bad line.
I couldn't understand or hear her properly. Phone goes dead.
Rang MS again. I got a nice cheerful sounding yank. I could hear him and just ignored the accent ( just kidding ) and was told to read the very long id number on my screen to him; which I duly did.
At this point I was ready to throw myself at their mercy and plead insanity, poverty and a whole host of other things; hell I was even ready to admit to being the man on the knoll at JFK's assisination.
Before I could do this he told me to insert the key he was going to give me. I inserted it and was waiting for him to say that he would have to send me a new cd or that I was going to go into slavery for life but all he said was " Have a nice day "
I was flummoxed. The comp restarted and went to a system restore point and then installed my settings and now works perfectly. The only problem is.... it keeps on telling me that I need to install SP2!
I didn't keep a copy of the key he gave me so I have switched off the auto updates and am going into hiding.
Thanks for the help everyone
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:47 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
First of all I have to tell you that your post had me laughing out loud. Thanks, I needed that!
You can go here to download Magical Jellybean. It will find your XP key for you.
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:53 AM

At least after all that you solved your problem, and you also have a nice joke there straight from life....