Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:45 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Windows Pack 2

I have recently started to update XP windows. I don't know why I stopped as such but I heard that SP2 was a nightmare to use. When I download the updates I have a message saying to update to SP2, which I refuse. Is it better to download SP2 or stick to Sp1?
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:58 PM

SP2 used to be quite difficult for certain people. it's been out for ages now and SP3 is in the works. most of the problems have been solved and it is a necessity for your computer. it contains a lot of software and security patches.
Old June 1st, 2006, 12:25 AM

One word of warning though .... make sure your system is free of Spyware/Virus's, before you start.
Old June 1st, 2006, 12:41 AM

Get the SP2 CD It's free..Will go a lot easier then installing thru Windows Update.
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

You can download the full install
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-9e368d3cdb5a
Old June 1st, 2006, 12:51 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
I've installed SP2 on numerous computers,and have never problems with it.
You can order it on CD from here. It's a very large download so getting it on CD would be better if you're on a dialup connection.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will download it and hope it doesn't muck up my system too much. If it does I know where to turn for help
Thanks again
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM

As I think somebody else mentioned before, make sure you run a spyware and antivirus scan before you install SP2.
Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.
Old June 4th, 2006, 01:11 PM

OK, I will keep this brief. I knew it was going too smoothly I downloaded sp2 and rebooted when it asked me to. That's when the problem began. It asked me for my xp disc to register windows. So, I go and look for it and look and look but could I find the damn thing?
I have installation discs for everything but not my xp! So I thought I would be clever and borrow a copy from someone else.
When I tried to use the key to register windows it just said that the key had been used too many times to install windows and I was to purchase a new one
It now has a 28 day countdown to register. What would happen if I didn't register it? Would my comp just stop working?
I did see that windows had set up a restore point so maybe at worst I can go back to sp1?
Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. I did a complete virus scan before I downloaded the sp2. I know it has nothing to do with the registration bit but I thought I would tell you anyway
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobel60
OK, I will keep this brief. I knew it was going too smoothly I downloaded sp2 and rebooted when it asked me to. That's when the problem began. It asked me for my xp disc to register windows. So, I go and look for it and look and look but could I find the damn thing?
I have installation discs for everything but not my xp! So I thought I would be clever and borrow a copy from someone else.
When I tried to use the key to register windows it just said that the key had been used too many times to install windows and I was to purchase a new one
It now has a 28 day countdown to register. What would happen if I didn't register it? Would my comp just stop working?
I did see that windows had set up a restore point so maybe at worst I can go back to sp1?

P.S. I did a complete virus scan before I downloaded the sp2. I know it has nothing to do with the registration bit but I thought I would tell you anyway
Hi, i have windows sp2 and updated from microsoft updates but no cd required.
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

O/S: Windows XP Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssi2001
Hi, i have windows sp2 and updated from microsoft updates but no cd required.
the point he was making Chrissie2001 is that he borrowed someone elses copy. He did not use his own as he couldnt find it.. That is asking for trouble as he has found out.
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black mirror
the point he was making Chrissie2001 is that he borrowed someone elses copy. He did not use his own as he couldnt find it.. That is asking for trouble as he has found out.
Hi bm, he already uses xp, he says, so if downloading sp2 from microsoft he wouldn't need the cd, at least i didn't when i updated to sp2, maybe he downloaded from wrong site.... that's what i meant. I didn't missed that point....
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobel60

Your best bet, if this is a legit copy of XP, is to phone M$ and explain the situation.
If it's not legit, not much more anyone here can say really.

Either way, you have 28 days, before XP refuses to boot up.
Old June 4th, 2006, 11:20 PM

OK,let's try one more bright idea. Is there anywhere on my comp - a hiden file or sub folder - that will have my original disc registration in it?
The house has now been demolished looking for that disk
Old June 4th, 2006, 11:43 PM

You can try Magical Jellybean keyfinder. I never used the program, but I've heard that it works.
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml