Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:16 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
It doesn't sound like this is a network card problem, however, adding a new NIC to a computer with an onboard will not cause problems. The computer can diffentiate between network cards just fine.
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM

OK I didn't get around to any of the troubleshooting/problem isolation methods discussed above. (new nic, new router, etc.)

I did, however, use a corporate laptop on the home network. I didn't get the error there (my wife's Compaq doesn't get the IP conflict message either ... it just won't talk to the network or the world anymore) but I do have an interesting twist to report.

At work yesterday the entire network was down. What message did I receive and did most of the hundreds of Laptops and PCs receive?
Window – System Error

There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network

Coincidence? I don't know. They tell me that for the first time ever in the experience of the system 23 Servers were all down. They suspect some sort of attack. I wonder?

Last edited by rburtnick; April 12th, 2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
They could have very likely had hardware issues too "bad dhcp server within the router ect" Could also be an ISP related issue but not as likely. IMO you should still think about either going into your routers config and clearing out the dhcp clent table and updateing firmware or getting a new router.
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM

The corporate system kept crashing ... usually with a spate of "IP Conflict" messages. This morning the Tech team swooped in on my boss' office. His system was identified as one of the systems causing the problem. He was having the "IP Conflict" message at home with that laptop.

My "IP conflict" message was on a desktop running Win98. When I loaded it last night I received the Critical Windows update message and downloaded and installed the Win98 update. I did not experience the IP Conflict message on that system at all last night. The only thing I changed was installing the Critical update.
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:59 PM

IP address conflict

I get the "IP address conflict with another system on the network" sytem error message, and THERE IS NOTHING ELSE ON THE SYSTEM! I use the router only to bring the Comcast signal from my basement to my upstairs office, in order to not string a wire. It has worked fine for two months, then suddenly the "error" messages started. (It doesn't seem to do much harm...everything still works)
I guess from Arhangel's note, I have to buy a new router???
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:17 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If a firmware update didn't work, it is a hardware error in the router. Check your warranty information and see if you can get it replaced. Otherwise, it is likely you'll have to get a new router to solve your problems.
Old April 24th, 2005, 09:33 PM

Perhaps it is a coincidence but as I posted here before, when I installed the critical update for MS98 the IP Conflict messages ended abruptly. (I must admit, however, that I am still having to reboot the modem/router every once in a while to keep communicating ... don't know which is the issue ... modem or router ... I turn them both off at once with a power strip ... )
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:05 PM

It was a coincidence! After a few weeks without the message (but continuing to have to turn off the router numerous times during a session as the connection kept being lost) the evil IP Conflict message came back.

I finally bought a new and faster/stronger (allegedly) router.

I installed it last night. It's definitely faster. I used my old 802.11b network cards and it worked great.

Now, I have some new issues. I'll post them elsewhere but I'm hoping to figure out the problem with the new matching netgear nic (108 mbps). I'm thinking it's just user error and instruction manual paralysis.

Ahhh ... then there's the case of the no internet but communicating on network fine Compaq laptop. (to be posted elsewhere).