Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:47 AM

address conflict

I work on a ~2Ghz computer, win98 se OS, adsl connection
today I received already several times an error message saying:

"The system has detected a conflict for address (here my IP #) with the system having hardware address (here a string of numbers, probably memory address)"

Please advise - is this some internal problem which can be resolved by me, or is it something else.
How can I deal with it?

thanks

yochanan
Old February 26th, 2005, 12:28 AM

It means that two computers on your network are both using the same address, you could think of it as the post man trying to deliver mail but two houses on the same street both have the same address by the front door, he doesn't know what to do and yells that there is a error and then doesn't deliver the mail.

Anyway, what probably happened is that someone statically set their computer to: "I want my computer to use this address: [IP address]", then your DSL modem tried to assign the same address to you and then the conflict occured.

I would check all of the computers at your location (including your own) and make sure that the TCP/IP settings are all set to use DHCP (Obtain IP Address Automatically) unless a computer has a specific function (print server) and needs to have a static address.

Good luck!
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:39 AM

address conflict

thanks landon
i entered the run>winipcfg and renewed my ip
now the problem is solved, i hope for some time
thanks again
yochanan
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Yep, that would do it too, I didn't even think of that aspect of it.

Thanks for letting us know!
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:13 AM

OK (same problem) but when I tried the winipcfg renew IP Fix I got:
IP Configuration

Error

DHCP Server Unavailable: Renewing adapter “”

The prior error hasn't popped up since ... wonder if it worked anyway?
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:20 AM

the ip address conflict message just popped up so winipcfg didn't do it for me ... now to figure out how to check and change (if needed) the TCP/IP DHCP settings ...
Old March 31st, 2005, 05:17 AM

OK found it ... TCP/IP set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically" on this Win 98 SE 4.10.2222A Celeron (x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6) with I thought 512MB RAM but system properties reports 504.0MB.

I didn't check the other system currently being used but know that it is running WinXP Home edition with a Celeron. If it is on would turning it off stop the problem? I'm doubtful but willing to learn.
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:27 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
It is best to either have all the PCs on your network set to 'Obtain IP Address Automatically' or not be set to 'Obtain IP Address Automatically'. Your best choice is to have them set to 'Obtain IP Address Automatically'.

If all the PCs are set to 'Obtain IP Address Automatically', then the router will assign IP addresses and make sure that none of them get assigned duplicate IPs.
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:04 PM

Just checked the other PC. It's a Compaq laptop running XP Home on Celeron. Both this unit (Celeron running Win98) and the laptop have Obtain IP Address Automatically settings. The conflict message is only on the Win98 PC.

The IP addresses are close but not exact. The default gateway, which looks like the IP Address with the last two characters truncated, is exactly the same.
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:48 AM

When checking the settings on the various computers on your network the Default Gateway address should always be the same, it is USUALLY an IP address that ends with .1 and then the IP addresses that are given to the rest of the computers should be something between .2 and .254.

Z1P: unless there is a reason to set it otherwise it is best to leave the setting on: "Obtain IP Address Automatically", if you have a computer that is host to a printer or a computer who's only function is a game server I sometimes set these to something, I ususally use an IP address that ends with .50 or higher, i.e. 192.168.0.50, that way everyone always knows what it is.
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:32 AM

OK but I don't seem to be getting any closer to a solution. Is there a suggestion here that I missed?
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM

You you still getting the "DHCP Server Unavailable" error on the Win98 computer?
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:41 PM

I joined this thread when I saw that IDR started it with exactly the problem I had:

"The system has detected a conflict for address (here my IP #) with the system having hardware address (here a string of numbers, probably memory address)"

At times this repeats so often that the only thing I can do is hit the reset button.
(three more just now ... hope I get to finish this).

The "DHCP Server Unavailable" error was the response I recieved when I tried the fix described further on on this thread (offered by IDR) to run winipcnfg and renew. I just tried the run>winipcnfg>renew procedure again and did not receive "DHCP Server Unavailable" message ... but the original problem is still here in spades. I have been describing steps tried here and on the thread I had begun on a similar topic.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 01:18 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Both errors you are getting are symptomatic of a more systematic problem.

The IP conflict and DHCP server are symptoms of a failing DHCP for one of several reasons. 1) The hardware supporting the DHCP server is failing so it can no longer process the client tables 2) the client tables are full meaning it has issued all of it available ip addresses or the DHCP stopped emptying expired addresses because of another issue 3) if it is an NT supported DHCP server it is possible the system logs are full causing the above issues

If you have direct control over the the DHCP server (router or otherwise) I suggest you restart the router/server, upgrade any available firmware for routers, network cards, and check for software updates if the DHCP server is house on an actual server (not router).
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:10 AM

Thanks. I was thinking of trying: (a) replacing the router (upgrading from 802.11b to 802.11g) or (b) adding a non-SiS network card ... would love to do one at a time for troubleshooting controlling but worried that just adding another network card will just add more conflicts to this machine with on-board nic
(... I never did figure out how to turn off the on-board VGA card so that I could install faster memory packed video ... guess I'm on-board accessory challenged).

I will refresh my router handling skills and let you all know what I do and how it comes out (I always assume that support folk like to know how something comes out and what worked ... I know that assumption is not always correct)

Last edited by rburtnick; April 2nd, 2005 at 05:25 AM.