Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:46 PM

FIREFOX problem

Hello everyone. I run Win 98SE. I recently was using Mozilla Firefox browser but had found that I had too many little problems that were annoying so I uninstalled it. Went back to IE6. My problem is that when I click on a link site in my Favorites folder from the Start menu or from my quick launch bar, I get a box that states it cannot find Firefos.exe. What I have to do is open IE to the web to use my Favorites folder. I hope I am making sense here.
I did a search for files or folders looking for any stray Firefox files and there was none found. Any suggestions on how I can remedy this problem?
Thank you and have a great day.
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:31 AM

I have idea but I'm not sure if this is your porblem. Hopefully this will help.

Try setting Microsoft Internet Exploer to default... If you don't know how, follow these steps.

1. Open internet exploer (Start > Run > C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE)
  2. Go to the tools menu
  3. Click internet options
  4. Go to the programs tab
  5. Check the checkbox at the bottom that says internet explorer should check to see if it is the default browser.
  • I know you said you have windows 98 but if you have set program access and defauts under control panal try these next steps too... Also get any updates for IE from http://www.windowsupdate.com
  1. Open add and remove programs from the control panal.
  2. Click on the "Set program access and Defaults" tab on the left.
  3. Click on the down arrow next to "Custom"
  4. Under Choose a Default web browser choose Internet Exploer
  5. If Mozilla Firefox still shows "deselect" the check box next to firefox that says enable access to this program.
  6. Restart you computer...
I hope this helps. This seems to be your problem. I have noticed a default issue with FireFox, so hopefully this helps...

-faction

Last edited by faction688; February 19th, 2005 at 12:33 AM.
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:47 AM

FIREFOX problem

Thank you for your reply. I never ever thought of that. I did as you suggested. It was not checked. I checked it and am going to try and see if it helped the problem. I couldnt even use link in my email to get here. Showed same box. Had to open IE and go into favorites from there to access here.
Thank you. Will let you know if that was the solution. Have to go out of here and try to come back in.
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:56 AM

FIREFOX problem

YEAH !!!! it worked. I went out of IE. When I went to Start menu, Favorites and hit my Cybertech link, a window popped up stating that IE was not default browser, would I like it to be. Said yes and it loaded here right away.
Thank you so very much for your help. This little thing has been buggin me for a week.
A little thing so simple, yet never ever crossed my mind to check back to make IE my default browser after uninstalling Firefox. Tried to think too hard I guess or old age playing tricks on mind. LOL...
Have a great day and thank you again.