Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:26 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Question reviving old PC

Hello!I'm back with more problems.After letting my nephew use my old PC he managed to mess it up so bad he took it to the shop and had the HDD wiped.When he gave it back it was dead and would'nt do anything.So I threw it in the shed and foegot it for awhile.Now I've decided to breath life back into it and have gotten pretty far along.Originally it was/is an HP 533w with XP home,256Mb RAM,integrated video and sound.on an intel i845 MB.I've managed to install an 80Gb HDD,1Gb RAM,XP pro.There is where I started running into problems!First the video was'nt working right so I installed extreme graphics driver.That worked passably well.Now I can't seem to get the right sound driver or something else is wrong,maybe the MB is flawed in a way I can't see.I installed AC 97 sound driver twice:1 was 64 bit version and sounded to fast.Then I got the 32 bit versin and it's the right speed but they both don't get loud enough and the right side does'nt work.Now besides the sound issue I'm thinking of going from a celeron to a pentium 4 CPU,since the price of a used one is really low these days and they both seat in the 478 socket.Will I run into anymore problems trying this upgrade?
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:18 AM

Your correct it is a socket PGA478 and came with a Celeron 2.0GHz. Has the 845GL chipset and originally had a ASUS IT8708F motherboard. Sound/Audio intrgrated AC97, and the Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics with up to 64MB shared memory.

You are only able to upgrade to a 2.4 or 2.6GHz 400FSB P4 with the socket 478. So you would need a processor that runs at 400FSB (Front Side Bus), most P4 are faster.

You need to identify the motherboard, as there were several different ones used for that system; Either have a Trigem or Asus.

Both can take a P4;and Celeron (Willamette, Northwood)

The ASUS board is a P4G533 (echo) serial number would start with MX
If it starts with KR or CH then its the Trigem. You need to find some identing markings on the motherboard.

Drivers: Which you probably found already; HERE
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Thanks Murf!I am checking the board next.I ran PCwizard on it and thats how I got as far as I have,it seid the board was trigem but I'll look it over to verify the numbers.
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:53 PM

Well it must be a trigem!I've run 4 anilizer programs and they all come back with trigem as the manufacturer,but I don't see those prefixs infront of any numbers on it.here's what I see around the edge of the board it has serial# on a sticker 310105-S305951.then on the edge next to the AGP slot it has Mat#132872 IMPERIAL GL VE 20020629,stenciled on there.And yes I've been to the HP site and found nothing of real use to me at this point.
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM

OK, it is a Trigem. The Mfg Part number is 132872, manufactured by HP. A lot of these were also used in a eMachine.

Sound Driver

Other Divers (some dead links there)

From what I can dig up:

Maximum Processor Core Frequency: >=2.2 GHz Northwood; 2.0GHz Willamette

Again 400FSB is the max.

Found THIS ONE for $4.00

I can't find if a processor faster than 2.2GHz will work. Some interesting reading HERE
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:46 AM

OK! thanks again,I've managed to get it back to a state of functionality.I ended up with a 1.8GHz P4 and an ESS sound card since I couldn't find a driver that worked or the board's mucked.Somehow this card just worked when I installed it,no drivers or anything needed.Now on to the next one in the shed!Do yo handle ME in the 98 forum?
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:11 AM

Thanks for letting us know. Yes on ME...They still have puters running that?
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:59 PM

THEY might not! But I have one that can't seem to run anything better.