Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM

I've checked some cases, how about this case?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112154
It has 3 fans it seems, good enough for gaming?
I'm not sure if additional fans can be installed.
videocard: engtx 260
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
CTH Subscriber

Should be good enough. Looks like the rear grill will accommodate a blower, and if need be you can mod the side panel for fans.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:48 PM

Antec300 has PSU on the bottom, which means the cables have to go over the videocard, some cables may not reach the motherboard and also the case cables seem to be somewhat short, that's what I'm worried about.

Ok if I mod the side panel for fans, does it mean i have to make holes in the sidepanel? Or what is the best way to put in some additional fans and what position (top, sidepanel, rear)?

Is there any way to find out (before ordering the items) if all cables from case to motherboard, and PSU and such, are long enough? I've read that some cases had really short audio cables for example.

Last edited by okeee; July 2nd, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Ok if I mod the side panel for fans, does it mean i have to make holes in the sidepanel? Or what is the best way to put in some additional fans and what position (top, sidepanel, rear)?
Yes it does. fans on the side should be intake, those put on the top/rear should be exhaust.

Quote:
Is there any way to find out (before ordering the items) if all cables from case to motherboard, and PSU and such, are long enough? I've read that some cases had really short audio cables for example.
short of calling the manufacterer, I don't think there is a way.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:44 PM

2x 120mm front fans and 1x 120mm rear fans, all 1000rpm, is this enough for a gaming pc?

About Antec300, there is place to put additional fans. What is the length in mm for the depth for the fans, to be able to fit in there?

Last edited by okeee; July 3rd, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

That should be enough, remember, psu with fans also double as exhaust fans.

Quote:
What is the length in mm for the depth for the fans, to be able to fit in there
Depends on what you have stuffed inside the case, but I've seen them in 38mm, 25mm, and 12mm thicknesses.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM

-I checked the sata hard disk, and it was connected with a 4pin molex connector to the PSU. Shouldnt it be connected with the sata cable instead?

-Is it possible to check if the CPU fan works before turning the pc on? Because CPU needs to be cooled immediately.
Old July 4th, 2009, 01:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
I checked the sata hard disk, and it was connected with a 4pin molex connector to the PSU. Shouldnt it be connected with the sata cable instead?
Doesn't matter, just don't connect both the SATA 15 pin (power connector) and the 4 pin molex (power connector) to the same drive at the same time. You'll blow the drive.

Quote:
Is it possible to check if the CPU fan works before turning the pc on? Because CPU needs to be cooled immediately
You can, but it's a pain and really to no point. Leave the side off the case and check the fan as soon as you power up, if the fan is spinning you're good to go, if not there's a problem somewhere.
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM

And the fastest yet safest way to shut down a computer would be to press the power switch for a few seconds or shut down the PSU switch immediately?
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
CTH Subscriber

power switch
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM

Ok after lot of checking, I selected these parts for a gaming pc:

- Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E
- Processor: Intel E8400 boxed
- RAM: Corsair XMS2 - memory- 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pins - DDR2 - 1066 MHz / PC2-8500 - CL5 - 2.1 V
- Power Supply: Corsair 650TX
- Videocard: EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
- Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Black Aluminum

other parts:
- 1x WD sata II hard disk
- 2x ide hard disk
- 1x ide dvd recorder
- 1x floppy drive
- win xp

The important thing is that I want to use all hardware as long as possible, so that's why I chose this case, with 3x 120 mm fans and this hardware, and I wont overclock any hardware. Also it's important that the hardware is as quiet as possible. If you see anything that wouldn't fit, incompatible or needs more cooling or something , please let me know.
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

The only suggestion I could make is to maybe buy an aftermarket cpu heatsink/fan, and use it instead of the one in the box. while the included one is adaquet for everyday use, for heavy gaming you need a quality heatsink/fan. that holds true for both Intel and Amd.
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:41 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Nice board, memory and processors are fine. Comments: Why use Win XP? I might suggesting getting vista, which will allow you to upgrade (free) to Windows 7. Also, why use the IDE controller? I'd skip the IDE and use the SATA for the HDs and the DVD as IDE is old technology. If you want to keep your system for years, I think this will be important as 5 yrs from now, willl be hard to find a system using IDE drive, which may make retrieving data a pain is something goes wrong with a hard drive or computer. Only reason to use IDE for a HD now is if you already have the IDE drives and don't want to upgrade to SATA drives (~ $75 ea for 1 TB now).

Lian Li case is fine. If you want a better one, consider the Antec P182 or P183, both of whcih are more expensive but better built and quieter. Since you want silent operation, I suggest:
1. Include a Gemini S CPU cooler for about $38. It is low profile, solid, and quiet. Has the 4-pin CPU fan connector. Need to ensure you use it with the ASUS AI Suite fan controller for quiet operation. There are many other CPU coolers to choose from, but this is my favorite because it is relatively small, is very solid (mounts from back of MOBO), and when you place the coils in front of the rear fan of the Lian Li case, it will be very efficient.
2. To operate quietly, you'll want to operate the case fans at less than 12V, so you will probably want 2 or 3 fan controllers like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118217. You can get them cheaper than the listed $9.99 here.

Finally, if you are serious about quiet PC, see this link:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Good luck.

Last edited by jsmartin22; July 7th, 2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:28 AM

I really can't affort to buy some more parts, so I thought I first check how the intel fan works, and see it the temperatures are cool. If it's needed, I'll get another heatsink + fan. I may also have an extra 120 mm fan, would it help if can somehow have it point to the CPU?

What do you consider to be not so quiet about Lian Li? Is it the fan sound or resonating parts of the case? antec 182 wont fit large videocards I thought.

The 3 fans run at 1000 rpm, arent they supposed to give little sound?