Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
But I'm at beginners level, I have little knowledge about this, so is it advisable for a beginner? If so, I'd like to read a (very beginner) complete guide about assembling pc's.
The following is a very beginner guide to assembling a pc.

If you're mechanicaly inclined, and can read and follow instructions putting together your own pc is not difficult, If you run into issues when you change a light bulb, then you probably shouldn't attempt it.

first thing though is to decide on what the main use for the pc is going to be, Gaming, multimedia playback, video editing, etc.
Then decide on a budget, pick the parts and then list them here. If your not sure what parts to pick, start a new thread asking for advice on building a gaming pc for xxx$ (for example), and you'll get some pretty good recomendations on what hardware to look at.

Generally you only need to send the defective part back, not everything.
And it's possible to track down a bad component, although depending on the issue, sometimes it's difficult to narrow the problem to one particular component without swapping the component out with another.

If you have all the components together, a novice builder should be able to put a ststem together in 3-4 hours.
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:56 AM

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1444&page=8
In this guide, they mention " plug in the 24 or 20-pin main ATX power connector" and "Plug the 4-pin 12V auxiliary power, and 6-pin power connectors in also"

about these parts:
PSU: Corsair 650 tx
motherboard: pe45-ud3l
CPU: intel e8400
do I need to plug the 4 pin and 6- pin connectors as well:
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

I assume that the pe45-ud3l is actually the GA-EP43-UD3L by gigabyte correct?

todays systems need the 24 pin main connector, and the 4 pin 12v aux connector.( dual cpu boards require an 8 pin aux connector) the 6 pin isn't used unless the motherboard requires it. the manual should walk you through putting everything together.

The e8400 is on that boards support list, so it should work.
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:56 AM

I meant GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=ep45-ud3l
but probably it needs the same settings.

Which of these 2 is a better quality motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=ep45-ud3l
or
ASUS P5Q-E http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131296
Old June 20th, 2009, 04:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

Both Gigabyte and Asus make good boards, the Asus board supports crossfire and raid, the Gigabyte doesn't. Not having played with those boards I would guess the Asus has more overclocking features in the bios. Plus the difference in the number of ports available for adding peripherals.

the Gigabyte is a good midlevel gaming board, The Asus board is for the pc enthusiest.

Every motherboard I've used for the last 8 or so years has used the same power connectors, only difference is their location on the boards.
Old June 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Isn't hardware for overclocking, supposed to be of better quality, so it can endure the overclocking? I won't oveclock and won't use SLI, but I prefer hardware that I could use as long as possible.
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

In this case I don't think there is much of a difference in quality (you'll need to check reviews on the boards to get a better idea)
you need to balance cost against use. both are reputable boards, you'll be paying for extras you don't plan on using. Of the 2 boards I would go with Asus, but thats because I run with a Raid Array, and crossfire.
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:33 PM

-I've checked the PSU cables to connect to all the hardware, and there are lots 4 pin (horizontal) black and white cables. Does it matter which hardware connect with what cable (color as well) or will any that fits be ok?

-When all hardware is connected, there are so many wires that keep touching some of the hardware. Is there any hardware that NEVER should be touched by the wires?

-About static electricity, I've read that it's sufficient to touch the metal case to prevent static electricity. Does it matter where the case itself is placed, for example on a wooden table?
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:52 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Does it matter which hardware connect with what cable (color as well) or will any that fits be ok?
Generally any that fit will be ok, The ends are coded by shape, so that you dont accidently plug something in backwards. the one's you seem to be talking about are the Molex connectors (usually for ide drives, case fans, and some older video cards). there are 4 wires, the 2 center (black) are grounds and the outside wires are 12v & 5v.

Quote:
there are so many wires that keep touching some of the hardware. Is there any hardware that NEVER should be touched by the wires?
Yes, never let the wires rest on a heatsink (chance of melting the insulation and shorting). And keep them away from fans for obvious reasons. You can use a cable management system to route cables away from hardware and hold them in place. zip ties are handy, your local hardware store should carry the little plastic cable/wire holders with sticky tape on the back allowing you to put them just about anywhere inside the case.

Quote:
About static electricity, I've read that it's sufficient to touch the metal case to prevent static electricity. Does it matter where the case itself is placed, for example on a wooden table
That doesn't actually prevent static electricity, what it does is
discharges any negative charge that you may have making you electically nuetral. shouldn't matter that much, (at least in my experience). I leave the powercord plugged into the wall (with the switch off) and touch the case before Handling the components inside). I have yet to damage any components due to static discharge.
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM

-I checked again for the PSU wiring, and it seems that the black cables are from the PSU and the white cables from the devices that connect to the black cables. So black cables always connect to white cables?
All the 4-pin cables from the PCU were black, when do I need to connect to "grounds" cables and when to "12v & 5v" cables?

-The 5 little power cables from the case, such as "power", "reset" and "speaker" that have to be connected to the motherboard, when plugging the cables, do the description labels have to point up or downwards?

-I checked the CPU fan and there was only 1 cable (3pin), that connects to the motherboard. Is this corrrect, is this the power cable?

-The SATA harddisk, which cable do you use to connect to the power supply? The 4-pin cable (similar to the ones used for IDE harddisk) or the smaller, black cable?
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
All the 4-pin cables from the PCU were black, when do I need to connect to "grounds" cables and when to "12v & 5v" cables?
There are 4 wires going into the back of that 4 pin connector, the 2 middle wires are grounds, one outer wire is 12v, the other is 5v. You don't need to worry about them, the connectors are shaped so that you can't plug it in wrong.
Quote:
I checked the CPU fan and there was only 1 cable (3pin), that connects to the motherboard. Is this corrrect, is this the power cable?
correct.

Quote:
The 5 little power cables from the case, such as "power", "reset" and "speaker" that have to be connected to the motherboard, when plugging the cables, do the description labels have to point up or downwards?
It doesn't matter as long as they are on the correct motherboard pins, if you aren't sure check the motherboard for the pin labels, (every board is slightly different.)

Quote:
The SATA harddisk, which cable do you use to connect to the power supply? The 4-pin cable or the smaller, black cable?
the smaller (thinner plug) the socket looks 'L' shaped to prevent putting it on backwards

take a peek at the link. PSU connection guide.

Boy do I love google sometimes
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:51 AM

I have been using another case for a while, and now and then there was this loud rattling noise. I'm not sure where the noise came from, but when I put something heavy on top of the case, the rattling noise would be much less. So where does it come from and how do I stop it properly?
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:08 AM
CTH Subscriber

Not sure but check the psu mounting screws, they may be loose. On some cases the hard drive bays can be completely removed by removing a few screws, make sure they are tight. You can leave the side panel off and power the system up, you may be able to tell where the sound is coming from.
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM

I'm looking for a silent pc case, which ones could you recommend? I'm not looking for expensive cases, just a decent silent case.

-silent, used for heavy gaming
-large enough to fit in videocards such as engtx260
-NO flashy lights, windows or other extras
-no PSU
-at least 1x 120 mm fan at rear panel, and optional fan at front panel
-pc-speaker included
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
CTH Subscriber

Look at Antec's gamer series, thermaltake's wing series, and coolermaster's elite series.

I won't recomnend specific hardware that I haven't used, but I will recommend brands I have used. and those 3 brands I have used and had very few problems with.