Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM

selecting a PSU

I'd like to collect some components for a gaming-pc, but I'm not sure what are reliable parts. The previous videocard (geforce 7900gt) was really loud and the fan burned down, also the fan of the motherboard (asus A8N-E) also broke down. How can I avoid this? I checked some reviews and for example the videocard (geforce 7900gt) had really good reviews.

So how can I assure that the parts I want to select:
-minimal noise
-reliable fans (or other way of cooling)

Last edited by okeee; June 3rd, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:01 PM

selecting a PSU

I have to select a new PSU. What do I need to consider, except the amount of Watt? Any reliable brands, and what brands to avoid?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM

AMD - Intel for gaming

Í need to select either an AMD - Intel CPU.

requirements:
-lots of gaming
-run some other small programs while gaming
-no overclocking
-computer is hardly ever turned off

Which should I choose? Someone told me to choose Intel, because they would be more stable, not sure what that means, but is this true?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Intel beats out AMD pretty good right now, AMD has a cheaper price tag for their stuff but at the cost of performance. I just built a gaming rig myself and went with what's in my spec below and the computer is a beast for games, I am very happy I went with Intel over AMD.
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:16 PM

2 PSU:

PSU1: 650 Watt, Output +3.3V@24A,+5V@30A,+12V@52A,-12V@0.8A,
+5VSB@3.0A

PSU2: 525 Watt, Output +3.3V@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@25A,+12V2@25A,
+12V3@25A, -12V@0.6A,+5VSB@3.0A

Which one is better?
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

depends on who makes it, and whether those figures are peak output, or continuous output.

Don't know if psu # 2 is a simple split rail or a true dual rail psu, each design has it's advantages and disadvantages.

If you can get, a psu with an efficiency rating over 80%. And stay with the better known brands, I've had good luck with Seasonic, Antec, and thermaltake over the years.
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM

PSU1: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
PSU2: ENERMAX PRO82+ EPR525AWT 525W

I was interested in the specifications of both, which would be better based on the specifications.
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

without knowing the total power requirements of the system, the corsair would be the better of the 2. (especially since the video cards today are so power hungry)

While the enermax has 3 12v rails rated @ 25A each (suggesting a total of 75A available) the combined wattage on those 3 rails is 480w (according to enermax). which limits you to a total of 40A on those rails, which means you have to have an idea of what your hardware power requirements are so you don't overload one rail.

When I built my current system last year, I figured the max power draw (Amps) for each piece of hardware in the system I then added another 30% to that figure and got the psu that came closest to matching that number. If I did my numbers correctly, my psu runs about 65-70% of it's max rated output with the system under full load. Which means more stable voltage, less heat generated (by the psu), And I still have enough overhead on the psu to add hardware and/or overclock the system.
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:03 PM

I'm collecting many hardware parts for a gaming pc, and I want it assembled by a local computershop (no internet shop, or maybe a local internet shop). But there are so many shops, so I don't know which one is reliable, which shop to choose. So how do you know which shop is reliable and delivers good quality pc's? Is there any way to tell?
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
So how do you know which shop is reliable and delivers good quality pc's? Is there any way to tell?
You have to go in and talk to them, tell them what you want and see what they have to offer. The way I see it though, putting a computer system together isn't any more difficult than setting up a home theater system.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM

I asked a shop for a PSU, I aked for CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W, they didn't have it and recommended Cooler Master Real Power M620 Modular.
Is this as good quality PSU? I can't find much reviews about it.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

I've never used the brand, but I've heard cooler-master is a decent brand.

Having said that, it claims to have 3 independent 12v rails rated @ 19A. However the total Wattage across those 3 rails is 516w giving you a total of 43A to use on those 3 rails. (someone correct me if I'm reading the chart wrong).
spec sheet
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Having said that, it claims to have 3 independent 12v rails rated @ 19A. However the total Wattage across those 3 rails is 516w giving you a total of 43A to use on those 3 rails. (someone correct me if I'm reading the chart wrong).
spec sheet
Which means, too little power? Where did you find the values of the 12v rails, I couldn't find it.
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

If I remember correctly, the corsair has 52A output on the 12v rail, where as the cooler-master has 43A. The Amperes available is less than the corsair, thats all I was pointing out.

click the features tab, you'll see the there's a dc output chart for the unit.
Old June 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM

I'm thinking about ordering all the parts at a webshop and assemble the pc myself, to cut some costs. But I'm at beginners level, I have little knowledge about this, so is it advisable for a beginner? If so, I'd like to read a (very beginner) complete guide about assembling pc's.

What I am afraid of is, that 1 of the products may not work properly. It's seems to be only possible to test this once the assembly is done, but is it then possible to figure out exactly which of the products is not ok, or do I have to send all components back to the webshop?

I noticed that webshops here only give 1 week for returning products. Would 1 week be enough for a very novice person to build a pc, with possibly encountering some problems?

Last edited by okeee; June 18th, 2009 at 06:01 PM.