Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old April 3rd, 2018, 07:49 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Graphic Card suggestions

I have what now would be termed a bit of an older system. I am looking for graphic card suggestions. The onboard stuff is good..but i want just a bit more oomph.

I have an A6-5200 with Radeon Pro onboard. It is HDMI compatible..

Gateway
AMD A6-5200
RADEON (TM)HD (on board)
6 gig RAM
64 Bit OS

Any suggestions??
Old April 4th, 2018, 03:43 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Believe that systems motherboard has the following slots available for graphics:

1) PCIE x1
1) PCIE x16

Therefore I would be looking for a PCIe x16 graphics card. Stock this system came with a 300W power supply, so you need to ensure whatever card you get it can handle the extra load. Also your power supply may not have a Pci 6 pin or 6+2 pin for newer graphic cards.

Something like this should work:
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT-710-2G...=1522852843402
Old April 4th, 2018, 03:50 PM

As Murf suggests, your PSU is going to limit your options significantly. That is not to say it is not worth as you can definitely get a card that will improve performance over your current solution and not exceed the capability of that PSU. But if you want a better card, you MUST ensure you have, or get a PSU to support.

Also, you need to set a budget.
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:55 PM

Thanks murph. i am definitely considering all options. that card..looks like i could definitely work with it for the cost. a ps..i think i have one that i bought for a previous computer..it was a 500 w. so, i might think about swapping it out. Gateway and Emachines are fairly equal.correct??
Old April 5th, 2018, 12:08 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Most ATX power supplies fit standard Tower cases. Some are proprietary. Also ensure that the 500w has the right cables for the hardware in the tower. Only way to see if it will fit is to hold it up against the one in there now. Generally there are only 4 screws that hold into the case. Just make sure of the cables.
Old April 5th, 2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Gateway and Emachines are fairly equal.correct??
They are both subsidiaries of the same parent company, Acer, and use many parts in common.

In terms of being proprietary, the greater problem is the wiring. While more common with earlier Dells, some manufacturers used non-standard wiring for the main 20-pin power connector. I believe since moving to the more common 24-pin power connector, they have all gone with the standard ATX wiring.

This could be determined if you were handy with a multimeter, or if you had access to a PSU Tester. If the supply says ATX on it, it should use standard connector wiring. Then the only concern would be as Murf indicated, having the right connectors.
Old December 14th, 2018, 08:49 PM

Thanks gents. i pop in here every now and again. Such is life. i thank you all for the responses and will weigh all options carefully. BTW..i should have said i had updated the PS a while back to a 500watt. So, it definitely has the power to back it up.

Last edited by myersjr; December 14th, 2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old January 18th, 2019, 03:51 PM

Nvidia has Fast Sync

Nvidia has Fast Sync.. that's way way more useful than any other sync..

FAST SYNC is the future..

I am currently using https://harddiskdirect.com/01g-p3-14...hics-card.html its helping in with my gaming and crypto mining.
Old April 21st, 2019, 01:23 PM

Thanks for sharing the information, I'm also using it to decide which one suits me better.