Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:36 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
lockup with BIOS wipe

I'm having problems with my custom PC freezing up,then after pushing botton to shut down and restart it just does'nt! until I flash the BIOS.Then it runs OK until I try to Play a game then it freezes again and I go thru the whole thing again.I'm thinking it might be the PSU but decided to get someones advice first.Any thoughts?Its an old pc bought on E-bay in 2005. P4 3Ghz processor,VIA PT88ASA MB,2 GB Memory,300 WATT PSU.
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:05 PM

If the computer runs fine after you flash the BIOS, I don't see how it could be the PSU.

I would replace the CMOS battery first. They are inexpensive so little loss if not the problem.

Be sure to unplug the computer from the wall and then touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body BEFORE reaching in to remove/replace the battery.

The battery is most likely a CR2032 wafer type battery found at most any battery/camera/watch counter or computer store. Take the old battery with you for crosschecking and because most battery counters will recycle the old battery.

Do NOT touch the new battery with bare fingers - skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean sock over my hand to install the new battery.

Once installed, power up and immediately boot into the BIOS Setup Menu. Reset the date and time, ensure your drives are properly identified and boot order is correct, then Save and Exit to boot normally (and hopefully fix your problem).
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:38 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
OK!I'll try that.Thanks for you'r advice.
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Keep us posted.