Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:34 AM

Is it me or ubuntu 12.04..takes 8+minutes to open.

Gentlemen: Have used Windows for years, but thought that there haded to be better.
So after some checking installed Ubuntu 12.04, principally because I learned that
it would be offered support for a long time. Installed on Gateway M685 laptop over
Windows XP,and I think I have a good clean installation. Apart from some learning
curve problems. the main Problem is the time it takes to Start. I have installed Firefox
and Google Chrome.
When switched on, Desktop takes about 5 minutes to open, and when either Firefox or
Chrome are selected they take upwards of 7 to 8 minutes to connect even though the
wireless connection is made. What can I do to speed up the process. My system has
12mb memory.

Any help will be appreciated .....Thanks in advance.:
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:29 AM

O/S: Linux
you must have more memory than 12mb?
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I would recommend a more lightweight desktop environment such as LXDE. There's a nice tutorial here.

Quote:
you must have more memory than 12mb?
I'd guess 1 or 2 GB based on the age and the rest of the specs.