Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Please Help

Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to stop other people in my area from connecting to my internet. We have a router so we can join up 2 pc's. My daughters got a wireless airport thing for her apple mac pro book and she gets trouble from accessing the net at times, and when she sees on her mac there are about 4 or 5 other people accessing our internet. I am not bloody paying for my internet so other people can use it.. please help Karen
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
On your router, you need to enable WPA. This encrypts your wireless traffic, so other people can't monitor your activity, and password protects access to your network (and thus, your Internet). How you configure the router depends on the manufacturer and model of it. 99% of the time it's done via a web interface, which you can access by entering your router's IP address into a web browser. This will usually be one of the following:
But really, it should tell you in the router manual anyway.

When you enable WPA, you will need to enter a key for it. With most routers, it will have you enter a passphrase, and will generate a random key from that.
With this key, you will need to enter it into any computer that connects wirelessly (it will automatically detect the use of WPA, and prompt for the key).
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Most router manufacturers offer some sort of software connection tool which you can download from their website too. These sometimes make things easier.