Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
What Is Up With My IP Address?

I wanted to know what my IP address was earlier so I went to www.whatismyipaddress.com

Well according to that site my IP address is 80.192.xxx.53

I then went into CMD and typed IPCONFIG to double check but according to that my IP address is 192.168.1.103

Why is it that I'm getting 2 different readings?

HK
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

The 80 dot is your IP address provided by your Internet Service Provider, the 192 dot address is the one provided by your router (the one you're getting online through).

[Edit - I added the xxx for privacy reasons]
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipulrich View Post
The 80 dot is your IP address provided by your Internet Service Provider, the 192 dot address is the one provided by your router (the one you're getting online through).

[Edit - I added the xxx for privacy reasons]
Ah I see, that's a great help thank you very much.

HK
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:58 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanchatron View Post
I wanted to know what my IP address was earlier so I went to www.whatismyipaddress.com

Well according to that site my IP address is 80.192.xxx.53

I then went into CMD and typed IPCONFIG to double check but according to that my IP address is 192.168.1.103

Why is it that I'm getting 2 different readings?
As already explained, keep in mind that the 80.192.xxx.xxx IP address is that being currently assigned by your ISP's DHCP server - this is the 'address' seen on the internet, and also the address that is 'dynamic' (unless you have a static one assigned, and paid extra) and will likely change (or can be changed - many suggestions given on that website).

The 192.168.1.xxx address is being assigned from your router's DHCP - this address is 'internal' to your local network w/ the last numbers changing according to the number of computers being controlled by the router - this number is not 'broadcasted' on the internet because its range is reserved for such 'local' routers.

Actually, I find this stuff rather confusing (but rather interesting!) -
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Interesting to know where exactly, if the map is correct, where the NOC is.