Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM

Graphics card question

Hi i own a sony vaio FZ11s laptop.

Reading the specifications i have noticed the graphics card on it is a -

"NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 8400M GT notebook graphics processing unit with Total Available Graphics Memory of 895 MB and dedicated Video Memory of 128 MB"

Is this a good enough graphics card to play 1 or 2 of the latest games adequatly, its not for intesnse gaming, just something to play whilst im bored.

However i did notice the "availible graphics memory of 895mb"

Now im guessing this means it takes osme of the laptops resources to generate more power to the graphics?

If so is it effective enough to boost the graphical aspects of it effectivly or is it worded in a way that makes it sound like "wow" lol. If so how would i boost the availible graphics memory?

Cheers
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
The 895 figure is a figure that "can" be allocated, I'm not sure that's actually possible without sufficient resources available, from the system RAM. You would need a couple GIG's of RAM in order for it use it and the application itself would be the one to use it. It seems to me that this a program level move. If a particular game or application needs more then it'll allocate it. Then again, the OS might be behind some of this as well. There may be a setting within the BIOS to disable this feature altogether or possibly allocate a specific amount in addition to its own RAM.

As for games I don't see why it wouldn't be able to play most games fairly well or at least at a low level fairly fast.