Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:36 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
A build using an old case...?

OK, so I have a Dell OptiPlex GX110 PC Desktop hand-me down. My girlfriend bought a new computer and me being a scavenger I asked her to give it to me. Basically what I would like to do is gut it and build in the existing case. I know that trying to build in a "cookie cutter" case is difficult because it does not allow for much. I was wondering if anyone knows of what MoBo I could buy that would fit in this case? I like a good challenge and I built my own desktop, so Im still kind of new at this. Is it worth my time?? Haha.

Thanks everyone!

-DanO
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM

I had a look on some review sites and it says "Small Form Factor" which i'm taking to mean micro-ATX, so theoretically you could slap a micro-atx motherboard in it. That is if we are talking about the same thing, because I saw some that were the type that the case lays flat under the monitor, and some that were normal tower designs.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:57 AM

Hmm... I did some looking around too and I I saw it called "small form factor" as well, But I didn't know what kind of MoBo it referred to. I can only assume that the MoBo has to be small because when I opened the case the power sup. swings out from inside which takes up some room. So perhaps you are right about the micro-atx board.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:07 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Is it one that sits under the monitor?

If so, Then no. Nothing other than the original dell mobo will fit. Basically they don't have any screw holes (well 2 maybe). And there is that extra add-on for the PCI slots, Which isn't on any of the motherboards out today. Basically because none are designed to be used like that. And the rear I/O ports are in the wrong position also.

Believe me, My first PC was some dell optiplex P2 based thing. Ran quite good, But I destroyed it lol..
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM

No it doesn't sit under a monitor. Its a free standing tower. Here is a picture I just took...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...tiPlex_110.jpg
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:00 AM

ok heh this is tricky, the placement of the seial port up top makes me think it could fit a micro-ATX board, but its just wether the case is long enough down the bottom to support the normal expansion card layout, it looks like it to me. So I spose the next thing is to get your hands on something micro-ATX and see what happens? If the screws fit then your in, there may be difficulty getting any expansion cards to seat properly against the case however.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:44 PM

I agree, the expansion slots are going to be the tough thing. They are vertical not horizontal... And inside the case the expansions slots part of the MoBo is connected through a slot:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...x_110_MoBO.jpg

As for screws in the MoBo there was only one.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:51 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions?? Thanks.
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
With the back plane board running along the bottom of the case and the slots of the case themselves running parallel to the case, as opposed to the horizontal direction of the traditional ATZ form factor, there isn't much you can do besides actually cutting out the entire section where the slots exist and somehow modify the area so that a card could be inserted like a traditional ATX card, and allow it to be secured in place to prevent movement.

Basically, it sound like way to much work for what you want.

As for cases themselves, I prefer the APEX TU-124 over pretty much any case out there. With the two drive bays down one the bottom and a couple 80mm fans screwed in front it makes for some very nice drive cooling. It also has fan brackets in the back for the extraction of air. Very good for cooling all around.

APEX TU-124

Note the third image of the side and the position of the two drive bays along the bottom. Right in front of those is a place for two 80mm fans. Yeah, you probably would want to ditch the 350W power supply but the case itself is rather nice.
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:09 AM

Hmm... I think you are right. It is going to be near impossible for me to do anything with it. Damn Dells! Haha. I guess I'll just gut it for spare parts.

Thanks for everyone's help!