Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:30 PM

pop ups/system restore

When I click to access the internet random pop-ups come up. This just started happening today as well. My pop up blocker is turned on and still they come. In order to try and fix this I tried to do a system restore. The only problem is, no system restore date has worked at all. I have tried at least 10 different dates and they all end up with your computer cannot be restored to the previous date. Even if system restores won't help it I would appreciate help with these problems.
Thanks
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:34 PM

O/S: Linux
Random popups means that you're browser has been infected by a virus. Go to the Cyber Safty forum, read up on HiJackThis and give them you're log. Don't forget to tell them about the popups
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:41 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
About your unsuccessful restorations, your sistem restore points have become corrupted. This sometimes happens without an appearant reason and there is nothing you can do about it. When you remove the adware from your computer, disable and reenable sistem restore to delete the corrupted restore points and then you can create new ones.
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:04 AM

how do i get the system restore to delete the corrupted restore points?
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:11 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Disable sistem restore and then reenable it. This will delete all restore points.
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
To delete all restore points, go to Control Panel>System (or right click My Computer, left click Properties). Go to the System Restore tab and check "Turn off system restore." You'll get a warning about deleting all the restore points. OK the message.

Once it's finished (and you're sure your computer is malware free so any new restore points will also be clean), uncheck the box (to turn System Restore back on), click OK.