Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Question Callwave icons messages all over my desktop?????

When I shut down completely all of a sudden now I am seeing the shortcut individual callwave audio messages about 50 all over my desktop when I click one it plays the message. This only happens at shut down and rebooting. I wanna keep my callwave in my system tray but how do I stop all the shortcut icons on my desktop ?

The only thing I did was move a folder from the callwave file to my desktop when I took off callwave and reinstalled but that should not have caused all those messages to appear . I have deleted them again and again and they come back when I have to reboot.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by perplexed; October 28th, 2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:58 PM

O/S: Linux
No idea how to stop them being created but you can create an bat file to delete them.

Remember to replace \your username\ as required

Just open the command line and type:

Code:
cd C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Desktop
Now type

Code:
dir
note the file names of all the unwanted shortcuts, they end in .lnk

now in notepad create the following file
Code:
del C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Desktop\Shortcut 1.lnk
del C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Desktop\Shortcut 2.lnk
del C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Desktop\Shortcut 3.lnk
del C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Desktop\Shortcut 4.lnk
And save it as a .bat rather than a .txt file. Now dobule clicking that will delete all those links for you

And if you put it in startmenu>programs>startup then it will automatically run. However if the bat file runs before the shortcuts are created it won't do much.
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:21 PM

way over my head lol lol but thanks hopefully someone will be able to stop them.
Old October 28th, 2006, 12:58 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hello perplexed... it seems the problem started when you moved that folder to your desktop. I would uninstall Callwave, delete the desktop folder, delete any Callwave folders in the Program Files folder, clean out any traces using CCleaner and/or any other Registry Cleaner utilities you might have, restart and then reinstall Callwave. That will take care of your problem for sure, assuming you are able to remove any traces of Callwave before reinstalling.

Last edited by squirekat; October 28th, 2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old October 28th, 2006, 01:57 AM

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I am sick of this, I uninstalled callwave and deleted the file in program and when I logged back on they were there again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also found callwave pop back in my tray and also the callwave box was at the top of my screen like I had never uninstalled, what the heck is going on hear????

It also won't let me access my account using my system tray icon or my callwave box and I always could but that started before I move that folder.

Also may not matter but I put a second callwave on my laptop same account
callwave said I could.

How do I remove all traces of this thing?????? Step by step please.

whats a good cleaner and how will I know what to delete I may be asking for more trouble here.

Last edited by perplexed; October 28th, 2006 at 02:00 AM.
Old October 28th, 2006, 02:58 AM

jv16 Power Tools Registry Cleaner (costs money) is the best I know of. I use it all the time... just uninstalled Canon ZoomBrowser today and it was a bee-atch... couldn't have done it w/out jv16. Anyway, that's JMO. Something is obviously recreating Calwave and undoing your efforts. I don't blame you for being sick of it! A good registry cleaning should take care of it unless it's somehow linked to your OS and Windows is the culprit (I wouldn't be surprised). Do you have any way to go back to before the Calwave problem? If not, this is a good lesson on why backing up your system is a necessity. I use imaging software (Norton Ghost) and it doesn't matter what happens I always have a safety net when something goes wrong. I just go back to when things were running perfectly.

You have a tough problem and if you can't solve it you either have to live with it or do a clean install. Nothing like a clean install to motivate you to create backups. I'm not trying to preach here... that's just the reality of keeping your computer clean and safe.

BTW, jv16 also has a registry finder, so you can type in "Calwave" and it will bring up every registry entry you need to remove in order to completely scour your system of Calwave.

Last edited by squirekat; October 28th, 2006 at 03:02 AM.
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:11 AM

Thanks for your help your a real trooper for hanging in here with me, how do I go back before all this started??? I need to learn about backing up all this stuff as it is way over my head.

Thanks
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:29 AM

You can use System Restore, although I'm not very familiar with it because I use Norton Ghost, which creates Image Files of your C drive, or any drive for that matter, but your C drive is the main thing you need to backup because it contains your OS. Once you get everything running perfectly (or close to it), you make an Image File of your C drive and store it somewhere safe, like an external hard drive. Then, everytime you want to make a major change to your system, back it up first with an Image File. That way when (not if) things go wrong, you can go back to when things were running well. That's a short explanation... you can find more about imaging software with a Google search. I still think you can recover from your current situation if you can purge all traces of Calwave from your system and then reinstall it, and that means a good registry cleaning utility. You can start with CCleaner which is free but it isn't as thorough as jv16 Power Tools 2006. I know how you feel... I've been there/done that many times and I got so tired of doing clean installs of Windows XP that I finally purchased a good registry cleaner and a good backup utility.
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:58 AM

perplexed... I'm signing off for the night but don't give up. Someone here will be able to fix your situation. I guarantee it.

Mark
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:59 AM

well all is well (for now) lol I uninstalled and reinstalled again and did a search for all callwave files and deleted all last one of them. I shut down and restarted twice and no shortcut callwave icons all gone, thanks so much for all your help.

Maybe tomorrow I will work on getting this messenger out of my tray for good.

Thanks again!
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Here's a Microsoft KB Article on how to prevent Windows Messenger from running but the tray icon will still be there. Microsoft doesn't want you to uninstall Messenger so they won't tell you how.

Here's an Article that shows you two methods for uninstalling Windows Messenger. I like the first method because it uses Windows own Add/Remove programs function, plus you have the option to restore it later. Once Messenger is uninstalled the tray icon will disappear.
Old October 28th, 2006, 05:01 PM

thanks so much your such a great help!
Old October 28th, 2006, 05:08 PM

My pleasure... I got a lot of help the first couple of years I was here and now I feel like I can give something back. Happy to be of assistance...