Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:33 AM

O/S: MacOS
At least youre memorable dammit
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:40 AM
Rampant Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurestLight View Post
At least youre memorable dammit
I try make my stamp and call an ace an ace..... what can I say.. if someone upsets me I say so... free speech an all that.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
I do like the idea of temporary bans resulting in a different title, so members know the suspended party may be back, but as mentioned above, picking an alternative title isn't exactly easy.
I also give a vote for this.
"Suspended" for temporary vacations.
"Banned" means they got a nice new pair of concrete shoes.

Though maybe you don't want to listen to me, if it were up to me everyone's ban history would be public, along with the exact reason why, but I'm just nosey.

Last edited by oracle128; March 2nd, 2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
I was thinking maybe the label should be time-limited and then just left blank - I also think it makes the forum look bad - and the banned people probably only ever see it once or twice.

Lots of people cant be contacted by IM or email here by their own preference. So that reason is not really relevant is it?

I go to a music forum where there are many bannings and they have these signs too - its very depressing I find. [for the people still there and not banned I mean]
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by uripyores View Post
I was thinking maybe the label should be time-limited and then just left blank - I also think it makes the forum look bad - and the banned people probably only ever see it once or twice.

Lots of people cant be contacted by IM or email here by their own preference. So that reason is not really relevant is it?

I go to a music forum where there are many bannings and they have these signs too - its very depressing I find. [for the people still there and not banned I mean]
I do not think it makes the forum looks bad, it shows the forum enforces its own rules. As I said before if the users did not break the rules then they would not be banned and they would not have banned written under their names. If they are embarrased about it - so what!!!

If you think the forum looks bad then what keeps you here if you are embarrassed by a forum enforcing its rules. You can always go elsewhere where they are not enforcing their own rules. or Could it be you cannot trust information provided in a forum that does not enforced its own rules.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 06:25 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
As I said before if the users did not break the rules then they would not be banned and they would not have banned written under their names. If they are embarrased about it - so what
And as I replied, I'm not disputing the individual bannings - that's not the point.
Quote:
If you think think the forum looks bad then what keeps you here if you are embarrassed by a forum enforcing its rules.
I'm not embarrassed - I've never been banned from anywhere.
Quote:
You can always go elsewhere where they are not enforcing their own rules. or Could it be you cannot trust information provided in a forum that does not enforced its own rules.
I do already go "elsewhere" - thanks for the friendly [or was it sarcastic?] advice
I don't visit sites and forums based on how they enforce their rules.

What "keeps" me here, you ask?
I come here mainly to read up about computer help topics. I like the layout of the forums and I like most of the mods and regulars here.

Are you suggesting I leave? I don't like some of the laws in England but I'm not going to move because of them.
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
Obey the rules and you shouldn't ever have to worry about it.
I'll add first that I have no problems on this site, or with any of the mods, however on some other sites it really comes down to "Obey the rules as interpreted by the particular mod" Or sometimes "Depending on whether the Nazi armband is being worn on that particular day"

I also find the sentement expressed by Uripyores similar to my own thoughts, to me, placing Banned under a members name is offensive.

Stopping a person explaining to their friends why they can no longer post, by blocking their ability to receive and reply to PMs is also objectionable.

That said, I really do think the mods here, as opposed to elsewhere, do a marvelous job at keeping a good site working well.
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

O/S: Linux
uripyores,

No one is suggesting you leave.

But back on topic ...

With the exception of:

spammers
members that have abused other members
members that have tried to recruit CTH members for their own forums
members that have promoted piracy

every person that I can think of that has been banned on this site has been warned via PM or Post prior to any infraction or ban has taken place. The reason the above are not warned is because I, we, CTH, has a zero tolerance policy for those scenarios. The reality is that in numerous occasions we have given people plenty of chances at reforming their ways and sticking to the websites rules. We don't have to do that, CTH is mine and I'll do what the hell I like with it, but we do because I believe in giving people a break and a chance to reconsider their actions before any permanent action is taken. This internal rule has been in existance since I created CTH. The moderators, past and present, that have helped on CTH have all agreed with and abided by those rules because they too want to see CTH continue providing top quality help to as many as possible, and they believe that this action is in the best interests of us all.

One of the reasons I created CTH was to get away from tech sites that were around at the time ~1999-2000 whose staffing reputation was very aggressive. In some instances this surfaced because some tech sites were being courted by Internet companies for take overs. Overnight the attitude changed from being really community driven to a more authoritarian style which drove members away in droves.

When someone persists breaking rules, or decides to break the more important ones, a permanent ban will always be enroute. A "Banned" label under their names shows both the CTH Staff and other members that this persons actions were not tolerated. It offers reassurance to those that were offended, or otherwise affected by their actions. What some "Banned martyrs" tend to forget is that often the only ones that champion their case are themselves, and other banned members. For the vast majority of people seeing someone given their marching orders is a relief, but more importantly shows that action was taken.

Ultimately, CTH is my site, and between myself and the other volunteers on here we work damn hard to make sure that people receive the help they need in a family friendly community atmosphere. If someone repeatedly oversteps the mark then they will be marked Banned, and will continue to do so. I am always open for suggestions and comments from members which is why this thread is here. I thought my input may help clarify the situation and why the current "Banned" marking status on Banned members will remain.
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM

It's mostly a default setting of the vBulletin board, the original webdesigner left behind in the package. Pretty sure the admin can change it if he does so wish, me I don't really mind it so much.
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishY View Post
uripyores,

No one is suggesting you leave.

But back on topic ...

With the exception of:

spammers
members that have abused other members
members that have tried to recruit CTH members for their own forums
members that have promoted piracy

every person that I can think of that has been banned on this site has been warned via PM or Post prior to any infraction or ban has taken place. The reason the above are not warned is because I, we, CTH, has a zero tolerance policy for those scenarios. The reality is that in numerous occasions we have given people plenty of chances at reforming their ways and sticking to the websites rules. We don't have to do that, CTH is mine and I'll do what the hell I like with it, but we do because I believe in giving people a break and a chance to reconsider their actions before any permanent action is taken. This internal rule has been in existance since I created CTH. The moderators, past and present, that have helped on CTH have all agreed with and abided by those rules because they too want to see CTH continue providing top quality help to as many as possible, and they believe that this action is in the best interests of us all.

One of the reasons I created CTH was to get away from tech sites that were around at the time ~1999-2000 whose staffing reputation was very aggressive. In some instances this surfaced because some tech sites were being courted by Internet companies for take overs. Overnight the attitude changed from being really community driven to a more authoritarian style which drove members away in droves.

When someone persists breaking rules, or decides to break the more important ones, a permanent ban will always be enroute. A "Banned" label under their names shows both the CTH Staff and other members that this persons actions were not tolerated. It offers reassurance to those that were offended, or otherwise affected by their actions. What some "Banned martyrs" tend to forget is that often the only ones that champion their case are themselves, and other banned members. For the vast majority of people seeing someone given their marching orders is a relief, but more importantly shows that action was taken.

Ultimately, CTH is my site, and between myself and the other volunteers on here we work damn hard to make sure that people receive the help they need in a family friendly community atmosphere. If someone repeatedly oversteps the mark then they will be marked Banned, and will continue to do so. I am always open for suggestions and comments from members which is why this thread is here. I thought my input may help clarify the situation and why the current "Banned" marking status on Banned members will remain.

AMEN!
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM

O/S: MacOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishY
Ultimately, CTH is my site
in a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
AMEN!
Ditto
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:15 AM