Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:54 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Chunks of Programs Have Disappeared

[FONSeveral programs are missing key data: parts of "pages", (eg. the Backup Guide in Sonic Digital Media Studio is only half there with the top half of some of the sentences missing), my Dell printer software is missing the right hand side of over half the pages, etc. This happened a couple of weeks ago, and I have no idea why or how.
The only trouble was with Power Options ( Hibernation would not disable even when unchecked and Power Schemes would not hold). I fixed those problems.

What could cause this? What should I do? Some of the programs were preinstalled from Dell and I have no cds. How can I tell if Windows XPSp2 is missing files and folders? A System Restore would not work...it said there were no changes to my computer, so it would not restore. Also, there have been many registry changes...what kind of changes are do they mean?
I have a Dell Dimension 1100, Celeron (R) 325, 256 ram, DSL at 384kbps. Could I have lost part of the bios? How could I check? Dell said to do a total reinstall. Is that the right thing to do?This is really freaking me out. I would appreciate any suggestions.T="Times New Roman"][/FONT]
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:15 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
This is why I dislike dell hp etc.. They dont give you a xp disc.. so you cannot do a chkdsk /r

go to start..scroll up to dell and see if they have recovery options in there for a "non-destructive recovery"
Old September 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
asa sniper: Thanks for info. I have an XPSp2 cd. I ran a chkdsk/r, and I found the entry in the Event Viewer and in Help and Support Error Logs, but I could not find any data. It just said scan completed.
Is it time to reinstall XP? I have integrated graphics, unfortunately.....could the problem be there? How would I test it? My computer was purchased in Dec. 2005, yet many drivers are from 2001. How do I back up since XP Home Edition has no Backup ?
And, my Sonic Digital Studio is totally wrecked (the reason for this post in the first place was because many programs are missing most of the information. What should I do? There were no listings for "non-destructive recovery".

Last edited by Margo II; September 25th, 2006 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typos