Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:41 PM

STILL can't install Service Pack 2.

A little while after I bought my computer, Windows Service Pack 2 was available. I had my computer set to Automatic Updates. However, when it tried to automatically download SP2, my computer would slow down to a non-functioning speed. In the task manager, it was one of the svchost.exe programs taking up all my system resources. I would end that program, and my computer would run smoothly again. Everytime I restarted my computer, SP2 would attempt to download itself and the same thing would happen to my computer. Plus, it never downloaded so much as a megabyte of update. So I took off automatic updates and decided to ignore the service pack.

Now, I AM REQUIRED to download SP2 to connect to my school's network. So, I went to Microsoft's Update page and attempted to download it. First it made me download some other updates, which went fine. Then when it came to SP2, the SAME THING happened. Svchost.exe went crazy again, and the update didn't progress at all. I'm at a loss here of what to do. Back then and now my computer is virtually free of spyware and I have my virus definitions up-to-date. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy and welcome to CTH:

Just order the SP2 cd straight from Microsoft!!

Murray
Old August 14th, 2005, 08:54 PM

I've considered that, but I don't know if that will get rid of the problem. It seems to be getting worse.... ever since I tried to download it from Microsoft's page, EVERYTIME I load my computer svchost goes crazy. I have to end the program to do anything.

Plus, I need to have this on my computer in two days. I don't think it'll ship that fast.
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry to construct a list of services that it must load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started.

You say your system is "virtually spyware free" .. Suggest you run a HiJackThis log and paste it in Cyber Safety!!

Murray
Old August 14th, 2005, 11:16 PM

I don't know how to do a HiJackThis log.

And I have both Ad-Aware and SpyBot... saying my computer is clean. And I"ve only had this problem when trying to download service pack 2 for some reason.
Old August 14th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
SP2 does not do well at all when viruses and/or spyware is present so first do a complete system scan with an up-to-date antivirus (AV) program. If you don't have one installed, use the free online scans at Bit Defender, Panda or Housecall

After making sure your computer is virus and spyware free and if you have an AV program installed, disable your AV software before starting the download. Leave it disabled during the installation.

Since SP2 contains the type of files AV software is configured to check thoroughly and since it changes the system files AV software is configured to protect, AV programs can severely interfere with both downloading and installing it.
Old August 14th, 2005, 11:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
If I can interject here for a sec...

...the SP2 download/install can take hours and hours. Just because the progress bar is
not moving doesn't mean your just stuck there. It's coming you just have to leave it.
I've done some computers and it takes 1 hour to do it all and I've done others and
it can take ten hours. It all depends on the connection you get to Windows Update and
how busy their server computers are.

To avoid most of that time you can download the full Windows XP SP2 (service pack 2) here

Before any of that though you have to be free of spyware and virus. Scan here at Panda ActiveScan
If Panda says your clean then do the SP2 install.