Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Help needed with my first steps using Linux

I am seriously a complete noob concerning Linux. But I would like to learn more.
I have a three screen set-up working on Windows 7; everything works fine and I am fairly familiar with everything for normal everyday work. However one has to be so alert when on the net, viruses and other invasions that download without your knowledge I find are a constant problem.

So I would like to use Linux when I surf the net. I have installed a free issue of Ubuntu which shows up when I start up...it would seem one simply chooses between the systems.

So I wonder if you would be so kind as to assist me with pretty basic (and maybe stupid) questions.
1)Can I have both systems working at the same time? I.e. switch between systems like you can with different user accounts in windows.
2)Obviously I have an internet provider (Neuf.fr here in France) which is connected up to windows and works very well. If I use Linux is this an “either or situation” that is to say one has windows connected OR one has Linux connected. Do I have to dis-install the web from windows in order to set-up the Linux system?
3)Has Linux got a browser already installed (like internet explorer) if so where do I find it? If not where can one find one suitable for Linux?

I have a ton of questions, most of which may seem obvious to the more experience user but while I do want to use a net connection via Linux I am very nervous of doing something that will effect the window installation which is working fine.
Thank-you in advance, any and all help is warmly welcomed.
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:20 AM

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop1020 View Post
1)Can I have both systems working at the same time? I.e. switch between systems like you can with different user accounts in windows.
2)Obviously I have an internet provider (Neuf.fr here in France) which is connected up to windows and works very well. If I use Linux is this an “either or situation” that is to say one has windows connected OR one has Linux connected. Do I have to dis-install the web from windows in order to set-up the Linux system?
3)Has Linux got a browser already installed (like internet explorer) if so where do I find it? If not where can one find one suitable for Linux?

I have a ton of questions, most of which may seem obvious to the more experience user but while I do want to use a net connection via Linux I am very nervous of doing something that will effect the window installation which is working fine.
Thank-you in advance, any and all help is warmly welcomed.
Welcome to Cybertechhelp Linux.
There are no stupid questions so feel free to ask anything you wish. Question 1:
It is usual to boot into one or the other operating system, If you choose to boot into Linux then the Windows files will become available for you but not vica versa, It is possible to run two or more systems simultaneously but you need virtual-box or another virtual machine to do this.
Question 2:
If you have a working Internet connection it will work in Linux without a problem.
Question 3:
The usual default web browser is Mozilla Firefox but there are many others available should you not wish to use it...
Look forward to hearing more from you.......

Last edited by Jaytee; December 16th, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old December 17th, 2011, 12:57 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Thanks John for your ideas. Taking your suggestions and having done a bit of reading on virtual box I think this is the way to go. Taking in to consideration the equipment I have and what I would like to achieve.
So if I understand this stuff correctly my computer should have enough power, memory and space to run both OS systems simultaneously. I just have to deicide which is the 'host' which is the 'guest' and then allocate resources according to their needs.
It would seem I will have to deinstall the Linux contained in the dual boot. Then using Windows 7 (64 bit) as the base or host I then install Virtual box. In to this 'box' I install a version of Linux.
I have three screens set up using ATI's Eyefinity technology which allows me to group all three into one large screen for Microsoft's Flight simulator. However for bureaucratic desktop applications I can split the screens and show three full screen windows each running a different programs although the desktop behind still covers all monitors allowing the mouse to go anywhere, the task bar runs across all three. This side is run under the 'Ultra Mon' application.
Under this configuration I could give one screen over to Linux and leave the other two to windows.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on these plans and also your suggestions regarding resource allocation.
Old December 17th, 2011, 10:02 PM

O/S: Linux
Everyone has a differing way of setting up their operating systems.
My preference was to (on a Windows pre-installed machine) keep Windows then install Linux on the same hard drive. Linux installs usually give some re-partition options that allow shrinking the Windows partition. After ensuring the both o/s's worked separately I then installed virtual box on the Linux system then ran Windows and another Linux in a virtual state. Given that I only have one screen I never tried running three separate o/s
at once but with the machine you are using it should be possible in my view.
There are other options I have not tried so by all means look at running Linux inside Windows if you feel that will meet your needs..